Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting public land

Plendl

I have been thinking bout hunting some public ground with my cousin that is close to his college. I have some good private land to hunt and been getting some good buck pics but during season it seems really slow where I can hunt. Mostly because all of my stand locations are field edges. I have been successful but I would like to hunt think timber and get to experience how the rut is.

The place I am wanting to hunt is big and mostly all timber and it is located in loess hills and I know there are monster deer in that area. If im right i think it is 200 acres could be more... But is mostly thick timber with some crp and surrounded by crop fields. There is only one way into it too. I am wanting to scout the place out but don't know what time is best to do that. Should I wait till I can start seeing rubs and scrapes to go and look? We are also thinking bout hunting it during late muzzy season.

I'm not sure how to go about hunting public ground. I've always been worried that there would be tons of pressure and a lot of idiots that hunt them. I plan on getting a muddy stand and sticks so I can pack in and out.

Just wondering on what you guys do when hunting public? Such as when and how to scout. How to deal with other people that hunt it. Should I put up trail cams? And what's some tips and tricks when it comes to hunting public ground? Should I call the DNR and ask how heavily hunted it is during the season? Anything helps thanks!

It sounds like you have the right approach with the hang and hunt mentality. I don't know about the Loess hills, but in my public ground experience I'd wait till scrapes start to show up and put a cam on one to see if there are bucks worth hunting. I'd throw a lock on it and make sure it's off the beaten path though. Public ground that I hunt is either overhunted or barely touched; you just have to find the right piece and the only way to do that is by hunting it. I've had better luck with small pieces (like less than 50 acres) or walking way back in on big chunks. Public is also less hunted on weekdays in general I have found.

I doubt the DNR would know much about it how hard it gets hunted, but you can ask. I hunted public ground opening day of shotgun last year and never heard another shot or saw another hunter, but a different spot the following day I saw half a dozen guys. So you never know how much pressure an area will have till you hunt it.

Another thing I do is avoid areas with a lot of treestands or lots of trucks in the parking lots; not that these places won't produce but I'd rather have less pressure. Sometimes I'll think I found the perfect spot then I glance over and see someone's ladder stand. I'd concentrate on hunts where you can sit all day, unless you can move in and out fairly undetected. After all if you're going to pack everything in, trek a couple miles and do a hang and hunt you might as well make it worth your time. Just my 2 cents.

I like scouting out public. I have access to some awesome private ground as well but like trying to hunt public early in the season. There have been years where I've actually turned my focus to public during the rut because of patterning nice deer and low pressure.

Get out and hang some cameras now. Take a few long walks in mid September and see if you can find a scrape line and some good entry/exit routes to hunt a travel route. If you run across other hunters make an introduction and share some knowledge. I've actually worked out schedules in the past with guys that were hunting the same piece of ground so we weren't falling over each other. Even helped a guy drag a target buck out one evening that we both knew was in there. It can be a good time when you let it.

+1 on what bucket said.

I do a lot of public hunting and have never really had any issues with other people. Just be courteous and hopefully they will be back.

Call and talk to the Techs there. I know them, and I am sure that they will give you some info about the area. They may not let you on to everything, since I know they hunt quite a bit themselves.

Don't be afraid too speed scout an area and hang and hunt a stand that evening. I have had good luck getting a shot or seeing good deer doing that.

I like scouting out public. I have access to some awesome private ground as well but like trying to hunt public early in the season. There have been years where I've actually turned my focus to public during the rut because of patterning nice deer and low pressure.

Get out and hang some cameras now. Take a few long walks in mid September and see if you can find a scrape line and some good entry/exit routes to hunt a travel route. If you run across other hunters make an introduction and share some knowledge. I've actually worked out schedules in the past with guys that were hunting the same piece of ground so we weren't falling over each other. Even helped a guy drag a target buck out one evening that we both knew was in there. It can be a good time when you let it.

Some great advice. You often hear of people assuming it will be a negative experience with ALL the other hunters on public land. When in reality, it can be a great opportunity to meet others who share your passion. No doubt that if you hunt public long enough, you will have some negative experiences. Just remember, there are plenty of true sportsmen who will hunting with you as well.

Scout early, change stand sites if pressure gets to heavy, and hunt hard.
Good luck.

Look for escape routes. Deer will be pushed around early and late morning when hunters move to and from their stands. Again early afternoon when they head out for the evening hunt. Hunting mid day is also usually good for me. Sometimes I'll head out about 830 and hunt til dark.

I have a lot of experience hunting public land. Cameras are a great idea for scouting if you hang them high, or lock em up. However, most of my best scouting(for mature bucks) came from simply learning the area by hunting it over several years, and from learning where most of the pressure from other hunters normally is. Best recommendation is to have a lightweight, portable stand(I used a climber, you mentioned stick and stand, that works too), get some good waterproof boots, and hike as far away from other high pressure/high activity areas as possible. The boots will allow you to go through small rivers and streams that most hunters wont. Try to find a funnel meeting above criteria, bring a lunch and sit all day. Best of luck!!!

Top Bottom