Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hunting public treestands?

birddown101

Is it legal or illegal to sit in any treestand you find hanging on public property? I use a climber but had this discussion with a fellow hunter and couldn't seem to find the answer in the rules and regs...

As far as I understand, if it is left on public land than it can be used by anyone. If the owner shows up I would get out of is ASAP to avoid a potential bad situation. Also be careful, I have heard of idiots "boobytrapping" their stands to make sure other people won't sit in them. Have never seen it but I have seen people suggest it on other forums.

Public is public and therefor anything left on the property is public property. Which means your free to technically use anyone's stuff whether that be a treestand or a groundblind. Let's be honest though, would you really consider using someone else's stand?

Public is public and therefor anything left on the property is public property. Which means your free to technically use anyone's stuff whether that be a treestand or a groundblind. Let's be honest though, would you really consider using someone else's stand?

My thoughts exactly! My buddy seems to always find someone in his stand he had on some public. I was telling him its a chance you take when placing a fixed stand there.

If you hang a stand that requires climbing sticks, just take the sticks with you. Most people would either not notice it, or just keep on going because they won't have their own sticks.

I had a guy from pottawatamie county in my treestand in fremont county 2 times last year.I think you would be able to find a spot on the ground if necessary.Leave other peoples stuff alone.Then no trouble will come about.

I'll admit I've sat in another Guys stand...His stand sits right on the edge of the timber. He doesn't bother to take it down after season is over. Leaves it up all year...So if my stand is slow I'll jump in his...BTW I have came across someone in my stand and Although I would've liked to give him a piece of my mind...There's really nothing I could do... and That was the risk that I took when I left my stand up...

I hunted a public area today and found to ladder stands within 100 yards of each other. To be honest, I was a little surprised to see them there since the area does not have easy access. All that aside, I was tempted to sit in one of them.

Don't think that just because you hang a stand in a certain area on public ground you're entitled to exclusive rights to that area. Public is public. I don't mean to sound like a jerk (it just happens that way) but if your that worried about it either use a climber or do as Phatchef suggested and get some sticks to take in and out with you.

Let me ask you this. Lets say that I take my climber into the timber and hang from a tree 20 feet from the one you left your ladder stand in. When you happen along and find me there, are you going to hunt your stand? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
I agree with that it is left on public, it's fair game. Doubt I would hunt from it though. Thoughts running through my mind would be how many others have hunted it? The area is probably burnt.

If it seems to be a great area, I wouldn't hesitate to put a hang on close by. There is no "reserving" public ground by hanging a stand and thus "being there first".

So if anything is left on public it is fair game? So I can check somebody else traps or cameras. How about eating his lunch out of the back of his truck? Why not fake a tree stand injury and leach off the guy and his family the rest of his life. Give me a break.

So if anything is left on public it is fair game? So I can check somebody else traps or cameras. How about eating his lunch out of the back of his truck? Why not fake a tree stand injury and leach off the guy and his family the rest of his life. Give me a break.

Yes anything left on public land is fair game. Don't like it? Put your stuff on private land. Or, don't be so lazy and take your stuff with you.

^good answer. Becase its so easy to find private land. What about leaving a stand on public land makes one lazy?

My point albeit poorly made was that if you leave your stands on public ground, expect someone to sit them from time to time. If you're not OK with that, carry them in and out with you. I would think one would be happy to find ones stuff still there as opposed to stolen (see threads on missing trail cams).
Finding private ground isn't easy but it isn't impossible either. I read an article years ago about getting permission to hunt someone's property. The author advised that be as prepared as possible. They suggested a mini resume if you will. Photo copy your DL (black out your number if you wish), tell them where you work, that your willing to shoot does and maybe a map of where you'd like to hunt and when. It was also suggested that you make contact in the early summer and not 2 weeks before the season opener when everyone else is beating down their door. You might even offer to help out around the place a weekend or 2.
No, finding private ground isnt easy but by the same token don't expect hunting on public ground to have the same benefits either.

I asked this earlier but I'll ask again. If you put a ladder stand on public ground and leave it only to return at a later date and find someone in a climber 10 feet and away. Would you still hunt from your setup?

I get what you are saying. Treestands left on public are open to anyone who gets there first to sit in then but that doesn't allow for theft. Im very cautious to get away from other hunters. If I do leave a stand up its in an area that I have a fairly good feeling that no one else will visit. I do pack in and out each hunt but I have left treestands over night.

I get what you are saying. Treestands left on public are open to anyone who gets there first to sit in then but that doesn't allow for theft. Im very cautious to get away from other hunters. If I do leave a stand up its in an area that I have a fairly good feeling that no one else will visit. I do pack in and out each hunt but I have left treestands over night.

There's not nearly as many places that don't get visited as there used to be. Lots of deer hunters anymore and private land is harder to secure.
I'm sure some of you have seen me post on these public stand threads before, so yeah I'm a broken record. The regs need changed to no stands left up over night.
I'm tired of finding stands in all the great pinch points and other significant spots on public ground. I have always respected a persons stand site, but it's getting to the point people like me are getting screwed for being respectful. First come, first serve should be the rules on a public owned resource. Some of our public grounds now have more stands hanging than Christmas trees have ornaments.....

I asked this earlier but I'll ask again. If you put a ladder stand on public ground and leave it only to return at a later date and find someone in a climber 10 feet and away. Would you still hunt from your setup?

No, I would back out and go someplace else. However if I walked in and he was sitting in my ladder stand I would ask him to leave and if he refused I would proceed to take it down. He would have the option to leave it before it hit the ground.

I don't believe hanging a stand reserves a spot but I do believe in ethics and common courtesy which dictate that you don't use somebody else's equipment whether it's on public land or not and the first one to set-up in a spot THAT DAY deserves the spot.

No, I would back out and go someplace else. However if I walked in and he was sitting in my ladder stand I would ask him to leave and if he refused I would proceed to take it down. He would have the option to leave it before it hit the ground.

That's funny.

I don't believe hanging a stand reserves a spot but I do believe in ethics and common courtesy which dictate that you don't use somebody else's equipment whether it's on public land or not and the first one to set-up in a spot THAT DAY deserves the spot.

And I think that's a good answer :way:

I hunt a decent amount of public ground and I would personally never hunt out of someone elses stand, although I easily could have. I guess I am old school and have too much respect for other people's things; just because it may be legal doesn't negate the fact that you're a tool if you do it! :)

Top Bottom