Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chalupa Batman

Anyone had any success taking mature bucks while bow hunting scrapes? I caught a vid of this buck the night after this scrape was made he also tore up a 6" dia locust tree by it. Its right by some tall grass the does a bedding in.I just dont know if I should move my stand to this site or not to get a shot at him. Ive heard people say the big bucks only visit scrapes at night.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I've never had a mature buck visit a scrape in the daylight.. The earliest was the very last bit of light. I have heard of people being successful doing it but I think it depends on the location of the bedding area compared to the scrape

Only time I was successful hunting a scrape was when I didn't know it was there. I hung the LW stand, looked around once up in it and noticed a scrape below me.

There was storm front rolling in and the buck decided to visit the scrape with a couple of minutes of light left.

Thanks, if you can see in the pics theres a tree to the back left im think about hanging a stand on. The bedding area is a v shape of tall grass on the edge of timber to the left of the cam. Im pulling cards friday night, I guess depending on what hours im seeing most activity will be a big factor if I move it.

Last edited:
Hunt scrapes immediately after a prolonged rain. Often times they will be up to freshen the scrape immediately after rain stops. Last year I went out while it was still pouring and was on a logging road scrape line. I sat from 11-2 and the rain stopped shortly after I got to stand. Had 6 bucks come down that scrape line during that 3 hour period.

I think I've only seen a mature buck use an existing scrape once while hunting (didn't know it was there, but looked afterwards and it looked to just be freshened up by this buck). I have had one make a new scrape while tending a doe. I'm pretty sure it was not a scrape that was already there. I've had smaller bucks use a scrape or two that I've been set up by while hunting. I haven't really ever set up a stand based solely on a scrape...they just happen to be there as an added bonus to a travel route, field that the deer are using, etc.

Top Bottom