Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Shows Hot Button

I stopped filming my stuff because it got to be way too much of a hassle carrying all the video equipment into the woods, and setting up to get the right shot on film. It was taking away from the enjoyment of my hunting. I wanted to get back to just hunting deer again instead of hunting for the right video shot OF a deer. This is my second year without filming my hunts and I haven't missed it at all. Now my wife & I have equal time to hunt, and we can be much more versatile with our hunting setups without worrying about carrying all that crap around with us. If I want something on video now, I carry my small personal video camera with me to record something that might be rare or I just want to get on tape. The whole videotaping your hunt thing just got old to me after awhile, and it was a fantastic feeling to just go into the woods to simply hunt whitetails again.

So now I am not sure what everyone is saying, is it, if the hunting programs were better you would watch them or you are just not going to watch them at all regardless if you like it or not. I really am not trying to stir things up with this comment but I get the sense from the replies that some people think that if you do not watch a hunting show or whatever you are much more of a true woodsman and you do not need any new or improved products to help in your hunting skills. With the people who buy scent loc or lighted nocks etc. being not as skilled as the people who do it the "right way" without all the gadgets. The shows are not going away anytime soon they obviously have enough people buying into the crap they preach. So watch who you like or just dont watch them at all. I am just glad to have some on the tv to watch whenever I finally sit down and start flipping through channels.

Chad- I can only speak for myself BUT- I used to be hard-core into the videos, I don't watch them anymore because they are: so cheesy, big commercials, massive land owners shooting young bucks I pass up daily (and acting like they are the pros you need to get advice from) & infomercials that cost $15. *I can understand having commercials on TV shows BUT when you pay $15 for a video and you know the bottom line for them is a giant commercial for every product out there- I'll quit buying them and have. OR the video guys thinking it's about them and obviously have a perception of such self importance - they think all other hunters percieve them as these giant celebrities. Just a waste of my time & $. I just watch other things that are on now. *There are a FEW good ones left BUT for the most part I just choose to watch other things now.

OBVIOUSLY, watch if you like them or don't watch them if you don't (of course). But 2 last things, #1 - with how many folks I know that quit watching them and can't take paying for watching cheesy guys, commercials, they are losing viewers left & right IF they were concerned from a market perspective (they need viewers and are losing them) & #2 - my far bigger concern is the videos that turn other folks off (especially new hunters or kids) who see the cheesy commercials and $ value only of hunting from these videos as well as the contradictions of management, shooting young bucks simply to make a film. I worry what SOME of the videos do for the hunting community in a negative sense.

Again, one dude's perspective here. Nothing personal, just my honest take/concern and by no means am I am labeling all videos, etc because there are some good ones (heck, even my close buddies do some videoing). :)

**Side note- what I mean by cheesy is the guys who are always crafting fancy words for the camera (it's now not called "the rut"- it's the "pro-creation period"), crying and overly emotional on every hunt (drives me INSANE!!!), think they are the pros of the hunting world, guys who love to call their 2&1/2 to 3&1/2 a fully mature buck OR try and justify why they shot a young deer in front of camera for whatever reasons, NERDS of the hunting world, celebrity wanna-be's, etc, etc.

Last edited:
No doubt about it. A huge Industry has grown up around the competition to shoot the biggest set of calcium like apendages growing out of an animal's head. When I came to Iowa and bought my 40 acres, and built a small cabin on it, I thought I might see 3 ,4, and 5 yr old deer each season too. I found out,,how much land you have, and who your neighbors are has alot to do, with what you see. I settled back down to why I first went hunting. To get outside and watch a frosty sunrise. To listen to nature in stillness. To clear my mind,talk to GOD, and maybe, bring home some fine eatin. That's what it means to me now.

Top Bottom