Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Whitetails by the Moon

M

Monster Doe

After reading the post regarding whitetail literature I picked up the book "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon" by Charlie Alsheimer. My hunting partner and I had many discussions this year about how it seemed the deer would move at different times of day during the moon's cycles, but we would always decide it must be just random coincidence. The book really was an eye opener, not the same old rehashed "strategies" that so frequently grace the pages of today's deer mags and other hunting related publications. It confirms some of our suspicions and there are many angles and perspectives in the book that have never occurred to me before. If you haven't read it, I'd recommend picking it up and giving it a gander. If nothing else, it's a very engrossing off season read, gives you a lot to ponder.

From the topic, I thought maybe Blind Sow would have to pay you a visit and take your spotlight away.
wink.gif
shocked.gif
My brother is a firm believer in this and after cautiously observing the effects of the moon cycles over the past several years, I'm beginning to think there's something to it. Just don't let my brother know that, he's right way too much the way it is.

Hello,

I think there is something to it -- though other variables, such as weather and hunting pressure, often override the moon's influence on whitetail movement patterns, in my opinion.

I don't know of any research that supports it but it just may be the case that the November full moon triggers the first wave of does to come into estrous. (through increased light stimulous to the pituitary gland likely). It seems to flow with my observations over the last few years. And I know that the full moon, in May, has a determining effect on the bass spawn, so no reason to think it can't happen with deer.

One note is that, according to Alsheimer, when the November full moon falls in the middle or back half of the month, a "trickle" effect to the rut occurs. That it, the rut is extended over a longer period than normal but lacks the day to day intensity that happens during years of an earlier full moon.

Does this sound familiar to any of you this year? I would be really curious to hear some replies on how everyone saw the rut this year? For me -- the "trickle" effect was in full bloom and Alsheimer hit the nail squarely on the head with his prediction!

I saw rutting activity from late October through the present -- generally not as intense as in other years but widespread, consistent activity, such as bucks searching for and chasing does, with very few "gaps" in the rut at all. The week of the full moon was especially tough hunting for me, however, but I believe it was because many does where "holed" up in isolated locales with bucks (does often restrict movement greatly when in heat) and because much of the activity was happening at night. I did, however, have quite a bit of success during the full moon period hunting in and around doe bedding areas during mid-day -- rattling seem to make bucks in these areas really steamed then! -- at a time when buck movement in funnel areas dropped way down, as should be expected (of course, it took me a few days to figure out what should have been expected!)

Sorry for the ramble here....just some observations.

Good Hunting....Raven

I think the moon has a lot of influence on deers rutting patterns. This year has followed Charlie Alsheimer's predictions will a great deal of accuracy. The book, Hunting Whitetails By The Moon by C. A. is a great addition to any deer hunters library collection. Another good book to read is Rub Line Secrets by Greg Miller. A very informative book for the whitetail hunter as well

Top Bottom