Hunting with a Thumb Trigger Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

djm029

So over this past year I have been more interested in switching from my wrist strap release to a thumb trigger style release. I have read of many people hunting with them and was just curious if anybody had any insight on this matter. Pros/cons, also if you have any experience with a certain brand please describe that too.

I hunt with a backtension release now but used to use a thumb trigger. Best one IMO is the Carter Chocolate Addiction. I used one for a couple of years, nice and crisp. Target panic got the best of me though and now I just shoot everything triggerless.

I shoot a Carter Target 4. Wouldn't shoot anything else. Although i do shoot a back tension release at 3D tournaments in the spring to break "target panic"

Thanks guys! I'm looking into either a carter chocolate addiction or the stan shootoff. I just found myself getting very punchy on my trigger when using an index release so I might just have to give a thumb trigger a try.

SEIowa.. did you feel as though the carter addiction was too bulky in your hand. I have read things about this release being great, but a little on the large and bulky side. Just wanted to hear your .02

I've been hunting with a carter target 4+ since 2009. I started by shooting indoor spots with it and just transfered that right into hunting. The only downfall that I can even think of is that in the craziest circumstances it may get bumped and fall off of your string, either that or you keep it in your pocket when on stand and hope you have time to hook it up and all that when a shot presents itself.
They are pretty pricey buy I keep mine on my d-loop when on stand and just incase I have a backup stuffed in the easiest pocket to get too. I've Never had to use the backup release but I sure feel a lot better knowing I have it.
In terms of shooting, yeah I could shoot pretty well with my wrist strap but once I picked up a quality thumb trigger and learned the correct way to shoot using a lot of back tension and very little thumb. It just got better and better.
My wife also shoots carter releases and they make them to fit almost anyone, as she has tiny hands.
If I were in the market I would look into carter, stan, spot hogg, and true ball. Not in that order necessarily. They can be very affordable or stupidly expensive.
I hope some of this helped or atleast gave u some info.

The Chocolate is a larger release than say the Target, which is what I have too. I tried the Choc but couldn't get used to how big it was. I like my Target 4+ much better. If you like the swept back design like the Choc then try the Insatiable which is a little smaller and fits better if you don't have large hands. I had one but prefer the straight back like the Target.

I shot with a Tru Fire 3D hunter before my Carter. BELIEVE ME, spend the extra money and get the Carter. The Tru Fire has a long stroke, reverse spring tension rather than a crisp break like the Carter. No comparison...

Brian811..thanks for all of the info/advice. I will definitely be looking into the carter insatiable. I know you can't go wrong with a carter but the less bulk the better imo

I just bought a Tru Fire Edge 4 and it is non comparable to the 3D hunter. Much smoother and shorter stroke than 3d hunter. Every carter release I shot has been loud, not saying they aren't quality releases, but for half the price and how quiet it was I couldn't resist. Shoot a buddys or go to a shop and shoot a few. Its about like a bow, you won't know if you like it unless you shoot.

Also some people say switching to a handheld release takes some getting used to, personally It didn't take me long, maybe 20 arrows.

The one thing that did take getting used to was anchor change. Instead of using my index finger knuckle behind the ear, I now use my middle finger knuckle behind the ear and snug my index finger parallel to my jaw, much more solid in my opinion, and it shows on the range.

Search internet for "John Dudley Anchorage", It helped me a lot.

I made the same switch a few years ago and haven't looked back. My wife and I both suffer from serious target panic and would really punch the trigger... :grin:

After we switched to these things, all was cured.

Tru Ball Pro Diamond

I also switched a few years back to a carter chocolate addiction. Wish I had switched sooner.....great release and it did improve my shooting.

SEIowa.. did you feel as though the carter addiction was too bulky in your hand. I have read things about this release being great, but a little on the large and bulky side. Just wanted to hear your .02

The 4 finger is pretty big but it is extremely comfortable. I'd shoot both the 4 finger and 3 finger to see which on feels the best to you. Carters are great because they come with a bunch of different springs and are really adjustable so you can tune them in just right.

Carter Simple, and I have a medium size hand.

I have a 3 finger, wish I had a 4 so I had some place to put my pinky.

Tim

I made the same switch a few years ago and haven't looked back. My wife and I both suffer from serious target panic and would really punch the trigger... :grin:

After we switched to these things, all was cured.

Tru Ball Pro Diamond

Do you like the amount of travel with the pro diamond? I tried a friend's yesterday and just really couldn't get used to the amount of travel it had. I actually picked up a hotshot temptest 4 finger for $80 brand new, which I thought was a steal, but we will see how it goes

I picked up a Carter insatiable 4 finger a couple years ago after suffering bad target panic and trigger punch with a wrist strap. It definitely got better but it's still easy to start punching the trigger on a thumb release if you're not careful. I definitely prefer the convenience of hanging the thumb release on the d-loop while hunting over having a wrist strap getting in the way

I shoot a tru-ball thumb release and love it. Been using the same release for 6 years now. It's nice to not have anything around my wrist while in the stand. I just clip it to the d-loop and leave it there until its time to draw the bow back. I wouldnt ever go back to a wrist strap, personally.

Thanks everyone for your advice and sharing your own personal experiences. I can't wait to receive my hot shot tempest and try it out. I'm not sure if I like the straight t bar design but we will see. I actually like the swept back design but it was a deal I couldn't pass up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back