Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Huntn4life88's Shotgun Buck

H

huntn4life88

Warning you kind of a long post! Sorry! lol

Here is the 10 pointer I killed Saturday morning of 1st gun season. I killed the buck on our farm in Decatur County at 7:10 am at 50 yards. When he appeared on the ridge all I knew was that it was a big bodied deer, as he started down my ridge through the grass I stood up for the shot through my only hole in a certain tree. As he continued towards me I stopped him at about 50 yards with a saverly quartering on shot, I knew I could send the 1 oz slug through the boiler room....BOOM! then I hear a THUMP and he runs off without putting weight on his front left shoulder. I waited till 8 am before getting down, went out to where I had shot him....no blood......went to where I saw him run into the thicket....no blood, I knew he couldn't have gone into the woods because I would have seen him. I decide to go into a Z pattern canvasing the area for blood and about 40 yards in I come across a spray of blood in the snow that was still remaining down there. I tracked a total of 20 yards from where I found first blood, (he went a total of 60) and look up to see him lying next to a small tree...I go up to check to make sure hes down for the count and I approach from the back side, poke is body, then right below his eye and he's dead...I pick up his rack and notice something isnt right and I see his stomach quivering so I immedately put him down and backed up...I think it was just his nerves but still kinda scared me so I backed out and head to my tree stand till 11 am. When I get down for the morning I get back to him and lucky he quit quivering and my dad comes around the corner smiling because he knew I had got one. Suddenly I realize this is the buck I had been trying to shoot with my bow this year and never got the chance due to limbs in the way and other things...I saw this deer atleast twice in the treestand and finally I had him in my hands! Clean 10 point I'm guessing a 3 year old with little horn damage. I was so excited with him being my second buck, but I still have yet to get a buck with my bow :-( O'well maybe later this year or next...it will happen eventually.

While getting ready to clean him up a bit for pictures I notice a lump about half way on his right side and I notice that I dont see an exit wound, so I feel it, its hard and I realize its my slug. So I cut it out and find that the Federal 1 oz. Barnes EXPANDER DIDNT EXPAND!! The slug had entered right below the neck on the left side (he was facing towards me so his left) right were I aimed and later while cleaning him I found the slug hit the front of the left lung, missed the heart barely, and smashed the last half of the right lung but stopped right below the skin on the right side. No wonder he didn't bleed much, there was no exit wound! It kind of puzzled me so here are the pictures of both the deer and slug and let me know what you think about why the slug didnt open like it was sapose to?

Head on view:
192410_point_Head_on-med.jpg

Another view:
192410_point_side_view-med.jpg

Here's the slug pictures:
1924Slugs.jpg

Nice buck! Maybe the angle of the shot caused the slug to travel a little sideways. That would prevent it from opening up maybe. I wouldn't argue with what could/should have happened. I'd be happy with the results.
smile.gif

thanks guys for the complements....I forgot to add that I was treestand hunting, actually I was in a stand that is one of my favorites for opening morning shotgun. So don't let those blue jeans fool ya! I had to shed the coveralls and big coat when we got to the truck (1/2 mile walk in 45 degrees warms ya up more than you would like).

Also what do you think he would score? I'm guessing 120"-125" but im kind of flat out guessing on scores I have seen on other deer around this size......
confused.gif

huntn4life88

Congrats on the buck young man!!!! I've no idea about the slug, I shoot those from my muzzleloader, they open up big time.
Anyways, awesome buck, way to go!!

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on the buck young man!!!! I've no idea about the slug, I shoot those from my muzzleloader, they open up big time.
Anyways, awesome buck, way to go!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I shot a button buck in 2001 (my first deer with a shotgun) with the same exact set up for gun and same treestand and the exit wound was like 3"....he too was like 50 yards. It really has puzzled me, while sighting the gun in I took notice that the slugs appeared to be keyholing but never thought bad about it really or that it was that big of a problem till I shot this buck. Also the same day of the button buck I shot a 9 pointer at 6 yards so I didnt expect that slug to open because it had barely come out of the barrel of my gun. lol

My dad owns a Browning A-Bolt Slug gun (dont make them anymore) with a fully rifled barrel and 4X12 scope on it I believe that he bought like 5 years ago or so and it will punch clean holes and put 3 slugs in a 2" group at 150 with the exact same loads. He too has never had a problem with the slugs opening
confused.gif
and he shot that BPS that I use now when he started out and never had a problem with it? It's not fully rifled, just a rifled choke so maybe with the new velocitys with slugs its not stabilizing enough only through the tube? GRRR! this is really getting to me..........lol

O'well im still happy with the results!!

ok I guess I have to get started on doing acctual school work.....this site is so addicting lol...thanks again for the compliments guys!

huntn4life88

Top Bottom