Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hypothetical question...

Mike R

Saturday morning I was sitting in the treestand and there wasn't a terrible lot going on, so my mind began to wander. I was just thinking that my buddy sitting in a stand pretty near me was seeing all kinds of deer and was going to have the opportunity to shoot a big one. Which lead me to wonder...what if he shot one, but maybe the shot was a little far back or something of the sort and it came underneath my stand and I could tell that it had been shot. I was just wondering what I would do...should I shoot it again? Should I be still and let it go bed down and let it expire? If I shot it again who would get credit for the harvest? (assuming I put a good shot on it)

Just wondering what you guys thought...surely some of you have been hunting with a buddy and thought about this.

Just getting anxious for the cold weather coming so I thought I would talk hunting.

I have often thought the same thing. If it looked like it would be a killing shot and the buck went to lay down, I would probably let it, even if I didn't know who shot it. That is what I would do...

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

If I could get another arrow in a deer that was traveling by after being hit I would. Actually I have done this at least once in my life. If the orignal archer made what would be a killing shot I would let them have it. If they only nicked it though it might make for an interesting discussion. I would rather err on the side of ensuring the deer would not escape though.

[ QUOTE ]
If the orignal archer made what would be a killing shot I would let them have it. If they only nicked it though it might make for an interesting discussion. I would rather err on the side of ensuring the deer would not escape though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree also.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

I was about 5 minutes from being in that particular situation about four years ago. My buddy shot one in the ham (non lethal) and it walked within ten yards of the stand where I was going to move before I decided to stay where I was. It didn't happen but if it would have, I would have put an arrow in him and given the deer up, no questions. It would have been his first to go on the wall. As it turned out the deer made it. If it would have been someone else, I don't know what I would have done. Probably would depend on the situation.

I would say that if a badly wounded animal came by my stand I would definitely try and put an arrow in it, whether or not it had been shot. If the another hunter put a shot on it that would have been a kiling shot I would give it to him no questions asked, just be glad I helped finish the deal.

I would put another arrow in the buck to make sure he didn't suffer. And let the hunter know were he was at.

[ QUOTE ]
If I shot it again who would get credit for the harvest? (assuming I put a good shot on it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd shoot, if the buddy had made anything more than a superficial wound, I'd call it his deer. Your question got me thinking about the first buck I killed.

When I was a kid, I shot a nice 8pt during shotgun season on public ground. Another hunter ended up claiming it as his. I hit the buck in the last two ribs; he ran about 100 yards, stopped, started to wobble and then was shot by this other guy. I argued, damn near got in a fight, but this guy was a real spook, the way he held his gun made me walk away. Two slug holes in the bucks chest, one mine... one his, how could he argue, still trying to figure that one out.
crazy.gif

Oddly enough, I had this exact question run through my head while on stand tonight. Not because I saw a wounded deer, but because of a deer I saw. It was a doe with a furrow across her back. My best guess is that she got grazed by a shotgun slug that was a little high. It got me to thinking about previously hit deer.

Back in the early 80's, I shotgun hunted the Croton Unit of Shimek State Forest. One day, I happened to choose a stand on a bluff that overlooked a stream. A doe came running to the stream from the other side, stopping to look back. I put the bead on her and squeezed the trigger. She dropped on the spot. I waited 5 or so minutes before going over to her. About the time I get to her, two guys come up on her back trail. I notice she is gut shot. I tell them that she is their's if they want, they decline (probably looking at the long drag out of public ground and it is "just a doe"). Do you think their attitude would have changed if it was a "trophy" buck? Would I have offered a huge gut shot buck to them? A situation I would have to go through to determine my action.

I think the CO would try to rule on who made the "lethal shot", whatever that means.

Usually, the two hunters will agree as to who gets the deer. If not, the DNR will almost always rule that the owner is the last person to shoot it.

I had no idea that there were so many incidents like this that occurred. I guess if the situation ever happened to me, I would stick another arrow in the deer to bring it down quicker, becuase I don't want any issues finding a deer. The faster they go down the easier they are to find. I would definitely credit the other person who put the initial shot on it. One thing is for certain it would make a heck of a story.

How disappointed would you be though if you put a good shot on a big buck and someone else put another hole in it. I would be really bummed. If I put a bad shot on a deer to start, I don't know how I would feel.

Top Bottom