Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I am sold on planting RYe:

loneranger

I planted rye in sept, and the deer are still poundinf it. I want to move the plot next yr though, as my new neighbor's kid with his 4-wheeler, comes by. I sprayed this plot last summer over and over and over with round-up, to keep the weeds dead. Then just had to scratch the rye in. Is there anything better than roundup to kill weeds, real good.? I know I have to start early, and new species come up with time, but I must have sprayed my area 6 or 7 times last summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anything better than roundup to kill weeds, real good.? </div></div>

Not for something like rye..everytime you spray...more will just come up I'm afraid.

Rye, wheat and oats should be able to out compete weeds however so I would spray prior to planting and forget it.

Fire... That will help. Rye/Wheat/Oats should out grow most weeds, and if planted thick it should choke them out farely well. What I have done in the past on my rye, is let it grow next spring and summer. It should grow tall/mature and head out. Come aug./sept, mow it, disc/plow LIGHTLY, and re-seed with 1/2 as much as you used before. You will get another great crop of rye.

Dean

Top Bottom