Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I Feel Terrible

iabow

Today around 1 pm, I was walking up a lane in the woods to a small field. Close to the edge I checked the field and saw one hen feeding. Watching the hen a few minutes later I see a tom w/ a paint brush come out.
So I back off and put my decoy in the lane and I go to the side in the woods, I don't own a blind so I tried to blend in the best I could. I make a few calls and shortly I see his tail feathers struting toward me. Find out there were 2 toms, both staying back from the decoy, but I manage to draw back get aim. Around a 15 yd shot, thought I was going to find him in the field laying. Not how it went. The blades on my broadhead didn't open(checked the alum base ring). So I spent most the day searching under every brush and tree I could find probally within a 400 yd area. But I couldn't find him, now I feel cr@py about it and all these questions what if he's there, or there, should have double checked there too, maybe he'll live etc. man this sucks, I would have rather not shot. Sorry to dump on ya'll but man. Needless to say I'm switching broadheads. This is my first season bow hunting turkeys, it has been a learning experience. Having a bird drum and spit 4 yds from you, were you can feel it really makes the heart thump, but not being able to draw back is a little frustrating. But oh so Fun, except for this.

That's a bummer man, I feel for ya. If you spend enough time bowhunting you're going to lose game. There's not much more you can do except pick your chin up and keep plugging away at them.

It happens to most everyone at least once, it is a horrible feeling but you have to just keep plugging away you'll get the next one. Good Luck

How many feathers were there after the shot? Did you happen to notice if the feathers could possibly be from under or on top of the bird? I have and also have seen other people mess up on shots only to make a slight grazing. He may be fine....

Now that I have replayed it in my mind a 1000 times, the arrow might have caught a twig on the way. My arrows and fletchings are black so I didn't see the fight or where it hit perfectly. There was what appered to be some(around 10) breast feathers and a wing feather split at the base on the ground. He was slightly quarted(facing my left w/ head going away) when I shot.
No I don't know anyone with a tracking dog.
I'm going to take the good from it, and learn for next season.I'm also going to check those gobbler headtoppers out after seeing the results on here. Then either I miss or they are right there. Thanks Guys.

Top Bottom