Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I freaked!!!

CyMoose42

So Friday morning, after several days of pretty slow hunting. Muddy had invited me to come hunt one of his spots since he was tagged out. My Brother and I drive to Muddys house and head out at about 4 a.m.

We get out and set up in a corn field before light, expecting to hear some gobbling just before daybreak. Soon after setup it starts sprinkling and the wind picks up. DANG IT!
So now we are wet, and worse the closest bird sounding off is on the other side of property. Well Muddy knowing the property says he knows where that bird is at. So after seeing nothing and hearing nothing close for an hour and half of daylight. We decide to go after him.

We pack up everything and drop it off near the truck which is half way between us and the bird. All we grab is a couple calls, gun, and Muddy’s newly constructed FAN with a B-mobile head attached to it.

We start walking, stopping occasionally to call and listen; checking the location of the bird. We get to the top of a ridge and we can see the bird walking back and forth in full strut on the next ridge over, He is probably 200 or so yards away at this point. However we are stuck because the bird can see us if we move any closer.

Finally he wanders over the hill away from us and we run, rather walk fast down the hill through some trees, and to the bottom of the hill he was just on. Muddy, my brother Justin and I stand trying to decide our next move. Muddy calls a little, my brother calls a little, as I stand ready for this bird to pop over the hill. Well that doesn’t happen so Hell, Why not try the FAN!!

I started my way up the hill bent over at first with the fan in front. As I approached the crest of the hill I went down into a squat still moving forward. When I reached the top I stopped and looked to both sides and then through the fan. I see the bird in bout 3/4 strut with his head up and kind of bent to the side with a "Who the hell are you!!" look on his face.

I get the stake the fan is on pushed in the ground and the gun up between some feathers in time to see this gobbler drop down into the "Mean walk" position and start running at me. He went from 50 yards to 20 in what seemed like a blink. And I "FREAKED"!!!!!!! I fired, almost missing completely and then forgetting how to use a pump for second and gave him another finally getting the job done.

Justin and Muddy at this point come running up the hill both with "What the heck just happened" look on their faces laughing. We all were still in shock all the way home that things turned out the way they did.

I want to thank my brother for sticking it out with me all those days here in Iowa and to Muddy for taking me to his honey hole.

Tagged out!!

22 lbs
10” beard
1” 1/8
1” 3/16

Glad to see that fan got to see some action, I thought it looked deadly when Muddy posted it originally. Great bird, congrats!

SquirrelDick gets it done again. I still can't believe that worked, glad to get that retarded bird out of the gene pool, congrats again.

the only way that hunt could have been better is if Muddy and I could've actually seen the bird the whole time or if we would have thought to video you because your "freak out" was priceless!! congrats again on a great season brother! now, let's put an exclamation point on this season by doubling up in Wisconsin this weekend!

Top Bottom