Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

i gotta vent a little

tph

i am almost sick to my stomach! i just learned a little info today that will absolutely ruin my hunting! ever since i was a little kid i remember going up to our family's 165 acres of "hills" (as we all call it), i know i have been blessed with being able to hunt this property for years, now i learn my grandpa (owner) is thinking about selling it! i have my heart in this place, not to mention stands, plots, trails, and memories! im not sure what i will even do if he goes through with it??? sorry for the rant. thanks

My family sold every single farm they had within 2 years of me starting to hunt. Sucked big time! Any way you could buy it?

My family sold every single farm they had within 2 years of me starting to hunt. Sucked big time! Any way you could buy it?

Same here Sligh.

But I was hunting at the time. :confused:

I would look into buying it like Sligh said unless

That is not an option.

Good luck.

165 acres? How could you afford it Sligh? With prices right now, you're looking at $1,000,000 on that 165 acres. My Dad will never sell the land we own, I know that. If my sister get's ahold of it all hell will break loose. I ask her at least once a month if she'd rather have the land or the money from selling it. Her answer is still "I'd sell it for the money". I could never do that, I'd rent it out if anything. Some day I don't want to have to worry about it, I want to buy my own hunting ground here in Iowa and manage it if at all possiable.

i dont know?? hopefully between my mom, my aunt and me we could possibly get it bought?? im praying he just changes his mind!!

If he is hell bent on selling it,maybe talk him into contracting it with the new owners you get hunting rights to it, maybe have to share with the new owner but still better than looking from the other side of the fence.Good luck and hope you get this resolved without any family conflicts.Have seen many familys tore apart from land sales and rights.

165 acres? How could you afford it Sligh? With prices right now, you're looking at $1,000,000 on that 165 acres. My Dad will never sell the land we own, I know that. If my sister get's ahold of it all hell will break loose. I ask her at least once a month if she'd rather have the land or the money from selling it. Her answer is still "I'd sell it for the money". I could never do that, I'd rent it out if anything. Some day I don't want to have to worry about it, I want to buy my own hunting ground here in Iowa and manage it if at all possiable.

Teenage what prices are you looking at?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
risto2351 said:
Teenage what prices are you looking at?

Avg. is with crop $5,500-6,500

Still $900,000-$1,000,000 for 165 acres.

If it's all timber and stuff 3k per acre is still almost $500,000 I know probably almost all the guys on the forum don't have that type of money.

Last edited:
Starting from nothing - and I mean ZERO - u can buy land. Absolutely doable. I had nothing 8 yrs ago. Maybe ground was cheaper then but that will almost always b the story. Get ur butt working, thinking & improving any little amount u could buy & u will do fine.

the way is is now there is about 50 acres being farmed, but with a couple big shot farmers around here that buy farms and bring in a dozer and then there will be 150 acres of farmable!! ive saw it first hand.. these idiots doze out and farm stuff that is straight up and down!

Ask grandpa about a contract for deed? Allow those big farmers to rent your land for top cash rent...maybe even allow them to bulldoze a few more acres for crop?

Use the rent to pay your monthly or annual payment! You might need to put in x amount of cash to make it work, or even pick up a partner...but it is better than losing it

Good luck

http://www.rlifarmandranch.com/docs/ltv/201203_ltv.pdf

Timbered land in Western Iowa is at $2057/acre. Low quality tillable is at $2772/acre. If it's 2/3rd's timber & 1/3rd tillable - a very reasonable price would be in that $2,500 category.
If someone thinks that's 5-6k ground, please let me know & I have some land to sell you. If anyone thinks 60% tillable & 40% timber is worth more than 5-6k an acre (even more valuable) - please let me know, I'll show you my farm tomorrow & we can work a deal out. :)
I hope you work it out TPH- I hope you and the fam can get together & buy that rascal.
Side note- when my grandpa sold the farm closest to my house he asked the landowners if I could continue to hunt it. They said yes. That lasted 1 year & they "changed their mind". So- get it in writing & a recorded hunting easement (simple agreement written by attorney & filed) is a doable conversation & part of the deal if the the buyer is strictly a cattle guy or farmer & not a hunter.

i dont know what is happening yet, actually hopeing everything just blows over for now!! i think this drought has him all worried he is going belly up, but my opinion is the crops actually dont look that bad in our area

At least talk to him tph. Hardwood11 gave some great advise and it could be an outstanding opportunity for you. Keep it in the family!

ya, we are going to have to have a family meeting. nobody in our family wants to lose this propery so hopefully we can talk some sense into him.. i already thought about the cash rent making the payment, im just hopeing it doesnt come down to that??

The farm

Let me back up what Skip is saying. Find a way to buy it, opportunities like this do not come around very often. I was 28 years old and not much in the pocketbook when I bought my first parcel.

It will take sacrifice! I have never owned a new vehicle, we have an older home, we do not buy new atv/snowmobiles, I don't buy everyone a round at the bar:way:. A percentage of my earnings goes into my farms every year (it will pay me back in the long run)!!

Owning a farm will change your life, and if you have kids it will be a great experience for all of you!! Again, best of luck!

(note: Thanks, Ironwood, I know you are a land owner and it can work for everyone with sacrifice!)

Last edited:
It's a big step but land is the only investment that I have ever made that hasn't (sooner or later) come back to bite me in the arse. Values may fluctuate a little but they aren't making any more of it and it always goes up in the long run. Make it happen if there is any way. It's a game changer!

Top Bottom