Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I Hate To Be The One To Point This Out But....

Tonight was slow because I had to hunt a open corn field that was harvested. 2 Doe and 1 Buck, along with about 30 Turkeys! We've never seen a Turkey on our property before.

I have only gotten out 1 morning so far. Work this last week was rediculous. A few guys that hunt together went out on thursday and saw a good amount of deer. Planning on hunting most of the day Monday and hit and miss during the week. Good luck everyone!

Teenage, why are you shooting at small bucks? From the trail cam pics you posted over the summer and the number of deer you have on your property, I would think you could afford to be picky on the bucks you shoot at. Unlesss you are trying to not shoot does and take a small buck instead, which totally makes sense this year.

Also, if you want to see why many guys aren't seeing deer, id be more than happy to take you hunting with me and show you first hand...

Youth, bow, gun, and I think he can get landowners.

I'm fairly confident that you can only be issued 2 state wide buck tags unless you are a land owner or a tenant. I know for a fact there is no way teenager is a landowner or a tenant which means he is hunting with a tag the courthouse sold him for 2 bucks illegally. Also fairly positive that if you fill your youth tag during youth season your not eligable for a gun tag because your youth tag can be used if you dont fill it early as a shotgun tag. I'd probably check into this kid before your posting all this information on the internet because if I'm correct you've already shot 2 bucks and there all over the internet? My buddy got into a little predicament because he tried buying a landowner tag too because his dad owned the land. THe courthouse is willing to sell you a 2 dollar tag all the time but the Game Warden Nate Anderson wasn't so willing to forgive. Just words of advice I guess take it as you may, but im pretty sure you could be in some serious trouble with what you are doing.

2) Deer and Wild Turkey. Iowa residents who are owners of agricultural land or tenants that farm agricultural land, or are a spouse or child of the owner or tenant that reside with the owner or tenant, are eligible for reduced-fee deer and wild turkey hunting licenses, commonly called landowner-tenant licenses. Owning land in Iowa does not confer residency. Nonresident landowners and tenants are not eligible for these licenses. See p. 8 for residency requirements.

If his dad doesn't use his land owners he can. Then there is party hunting for shotgun so he could fill someone else's tag. All he needs is a doe tag.

Sent from Cooter's iPad using IW

Last edited:
Irregardless of how many tags he can get, both Iowa and Illinois are in the positions they're in because of that "I have a tag, and it HAS to be filled mentality!"

I am confused. My son is 9 yrs old and he took a doe in the Sept youth season. Then we walked into walmart and got a a any deer tag for the 1st shot gun week???? We did report the youth kill of course.

I'm fairly positive that tag is for an anterless tag and also fairly confident that if he filled his youth tag its the same as going gun season which be would be unable to go shotgun regardless of doe tag.

Booner said:
I'm fairly positive that tag is for an anterless tag and also fairly confident that if he filled his youth tag its the same as going gun season which be would be unable to go shotgun regardless of doe tag.

Call your CO but I think you are mistaken.

Call your CO but I think you are mistaken.

And ask what? Id be shocked if this kids dad didn't buy a landowner tag, which would not allow him to poses a buck tag. Also the rule states hes able to go youth season or the guns if he doesnt fill his tag. I was under the understanding he filled his buck tag which not even allow him to be eligible for a doe tag for the gun seasons.

Cooter is right. I believe the youth tag and the landowner tag, which he is qualified for as long as he is registered, are both bonus tags. He then can legally get his paid bow and whatever paid gun either sex tag. He also could buy shotgun doe tags, party hunt and shoot more if he wants.I have never heard anything about not being able to buy a paid gun tag if they fill the youth tag. He is legal just young. Its nice to have a legal tag for all seasons but I have only shot 2 bucks in a year once. I just like to be able to hunt all the seasons trying to get that one buck I am after. All hunters go thru phases and I am sure that Josh will evolve quickly from the, gotta kill a buck phase to the, going one on one with the best buck he can find phase.

Youth tag is a bonus tag a youth can still get a paid any sex tag for both bow and one of the firearms seasons. It says it pretty loud and clear in the reg book.

I'm fairly confident that you can only be issued 2 state wide buck tags unless you are a land owner or a tenant. I know for a fact there is no way teenager is a landowner or a tenant which means he is hunting with a tag the courthouse sold him for 2 bucks illegally. Also fairly positive that if you fill your youth tag during youth season your not eligable for a gun tag because your youth tag can be used if you dont fill it early as a shotgun tag. I'd probably check into this kid before your posting all this information on the internet because if I'm correct you've already shot 2 bucks and there all over the internet? My buddy got into a little predicament because he tried buying a landowner tag too because his dad owned the land. THe courthouse is willing to sell you a 2 dollar tag all the time but the Game Warden Nate Anderson wasn't so willing to forgive. Just words of advice I guess take it as you may, but im pretty sure you could be in some serious trouble with what you are doing.

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but it is my understanding that the youth tag is a bonus tag and doesn't count against any other tag options. I am also fairly confident that the land owner tag can be transfered to the owner's child as long as the owner / tennant didn't obtain one.

Top Bottom