Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I have taken a beating by a few for passing

bowGal

But honestly, I feel I made the right call for myself,
( but kind of crying now, that he might of got shot our first gun season)
This is a buck we call the high tight 10- he is only 3 1/2 this year, he is a bully and was last year as well, I do not honestly know why, but other higher class bucks wanted no part of him, this year or last year for that matter,
I have hours of video of him and by gosh he felt the need to visit every trail camera the last 2 year's.
Up until our first gun season, he seemed to hang out at every stand I bow hunted, I passed him twice this year at full draw, with perfect 15 to25 yard shot's.
4 time's while bowhunting, he hung out in the fields right at 50 yards, Yes at that distance he had me shaking afew time's, he really looks very impressive in the distance, but I kind of swore to myself, I was not going to shoot him before season even started, with him only being a 3 1/2 10pt this year, I really wanted to see what one more year would bless him with on his G-4's, This year yes he most likely would score in the mid to higher 140's, and I do have one side of his shed's from last year,
Every year , from scouting, and running trail cam's, I work my tail off , picking out one or two target buck's that get put on the hit list- and Yes I am to darn picky at time's, but I am just not the type of hunter that will just shot - too fill my buck tag's:)
Sorry to ramble, I know I do not post much here, but here are just a couple of pictures of him- if he was not shot during our gun season, he should be back in front of the camera's soon or for that matter in the yard,, I swear he bred every doe we have here on this farm, Nov 4th I had him breeding a doe all morning long, I actually felt sorry for the poor doe, I lost count on how many time he had nocked her down,
IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

Last edited:
i wouldnt of stuck him either with the busted g2,good call .get him early next bow season.he wont get alot bigger anyway.good luck!

If you have lots of land and lots of bucks, you might have the luxury of passing and have him survive.

I followed a buck for 3 years, bully on the property, passed him waiting for the next year, during which he got shot on the neighbor's.

Guess you'll have that. As long as you are good with it.

If you wouldn't be completely happy with him then you after best off not shooting him. Hopefully he's still around for you next year. I don't agree with Johnny at all, there's no telling what he will do next year. For all any of us know, he my blow up into a giant! Just look at the G4 buck that bill winke shot. I believe he started chasing it when it was a dandy three or four (I can't remember which) year old and it got MUCH bigger!

It is tough Barb, but thats what you have to do, to hunt a buck at his best. I agree with Lyon. He is at the point of making his biggest growth spurt, 3 to 4 year old. A ton of potential. Hope he shows back up for ya.

Congratulations Barb, for NOT shooting a buck because others think you should! Too much of the mentality in Illinois is "if I don't shoot him, someone else will." I hate that mentality. If you don't shoot him this year, he could be a giant next. If you're not excited about shooting him, you'll regret it after you do. I made the same decision on a few bucks this year, and they made it...so far. I'd like to have more people with your mentality as neighbors!

Your better than me. If i become full draw on anything im committed to shooting lol. I would be scared to even practice draw on a 4pt as I like hearing the twack too much. You made the right choice.

I think he likes posing for your camera. :D He knows exactly where to look for the pic....good luck

Full Draw said:
Too much of the mentality in Illinois is "if I don't shoot him, someone else will." I hate that mentality.

Ditto! Can't stand that excuse for shooting a marginal buck. If you're happy with it then shoot it and be proud, but don't say you shot it just because it probably would not have survived the season anyway.

Hopefully he will return after all the chaos settles down. He sure does have a unique look to his face. Should be very easy to identify next year if he makes it. Good luck!

Great job on passing. I personally think if ur on the fence w/any buck- better to let walk VS regret shooting. Even in hard pressure areas I've had 50% chance buck lives that I pass. Great job- it'll come back to reward u sometime!

Sounds like he isn't shy & gets around a little bit. I hope he finds his hide out like he has his 3 previous years. If he does, you will get another chance at him next season. Best of luck to you.

Top Bottom