Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I let him go

Shovelbuck

I haven't been out much this season but I have been seeing some birds. Headed out at 10:00 today and had this jake come in on a leash. I called once and he gobbled about 200 yds. away. Before I could get my facemask and finger tab on he was there. I decided I would just watch him and see what would happen as there were other toms gobbling in the timber that I couldn't see. After he walked off 3 other toms came out but only got to about 70 yds. They wouldn't leave the hens that were in the alfalfa field. While they were there at least 2 others were gobbling behind me. All in all, an exciting 2 hours.

Attachments

• 25340-Copy of I let him go.JPG
    25340-Copy of I let him go.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 6
Way to go Shovel. With all those morels I figured you'd be ready for something different to eat and shot him.
smile.gif

That's a great pic! Hope you get your tag on one soon.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the fuzzy pics. It was very hazzy yesterday. Here's two of the other toms with one of the hens.

Attachments

• 25355-Copy of strutting toms.JPG
    25355-Copy of strutting toms.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
Hard to tell from the pics but are those merriams or easterns? They appear to have a lighter tail fan that the birds I'm hunting

I beleive those are merriams. I'm no expert in this field but I've been told we have 3 kinds here in Ne. Easterns, Rio Grandes, and the Merriams.

Top Bottom