Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I love April 22, another bird down

nannyslayer

Well, it has been excatly a year since I have had a bird on the ground. Last year on April 22 I put a nice one on the ground with a shotgun. This year I decided to change things up a bit and try to take my spring archery turkey.

It has been quite a year. I have been hunting with windwalker and both of us are beginner archery tackle turkey hunters. Its been very interesting to say the least. I have missed a few and shot one and never found it, which had me sick. I haven't shot a turkey (with a shotgun) and never found it.

Today was a nice start. My wife decided to give turkey hunting a try, so we both took off work and headed out. First thing we had birds gobbling on the roost and then of course they flew to the other side of the river. We had a little hike, but we got around and got set up on them, nothing. She hung it up for now, and I called windwalker and we headed to the blind at around 1:30. At 2:40 we had birds fired up headed our way. At 3:00 we were taking harvest photo's. In all, taking a bird with archery tackle is fun and very rewarding.

I have been using Jak Hammers, and I know, its not the head but shot placement, but I had a bird run off with my arrow sticking out both wings, which in turn got me away from Jak hammers for turkeys. I went and bought some Turkey Tomahawks and they are freaking devistating to say the least. 3.5 inch cutting diameter, exspandable broadhead, all you have to do is hit meat /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

24lbs 15 oz
10 and 6 inch beard
1 1/4 and 1 3/16 spurs

Turkeyandsheds010.jpg

Turkeyandsheds008.jpg

Turkeyandsheds015.jpg

Turkeyandsheds014.jpg

The Turkey Tomahawk

Turkeyandsheds013.jpg

Congrats! Taking a bird with a bow is very rewarding and hard to accomplish! How did the new broadheads fly? Did you have to sight them in or did they fly just like field tips?

They are 150 grain tips, but I didn't have to change a thing from 0-20 yards. At 25 yards, I have to use my 30 yard pin, other than that I don't know, I won't shoot at a turkey past that with a bow. They fly like a field tip though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turkey Tomahawks </div></div>

Wow! Looks like they do the trick! Congrats Brian /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom