Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I love using the Iowa Geographic Map Server, but...

iowabucks

You try to zoom into a specific area and it takes you so far off that you can't even tell which direction you went. Not very accurate. It seems like it's been doing it for the last year or so. Never noticed it before.

Anyone else have the same problem?

You ever use the Muscatine Area Geographic Information Consortium (MAGIC)? Its awesome! Its basically a free satellite image platbook.. shows all of the parcels, who owns them, and everything.. you can also measure distances and acreages

Bing.com with birds eye view is the best I have seen if they have it in your area. Blows everything away.

You ever use the Muscatine Area Geographic Information Consortium (MAGIC)?
Absolutely. I like finding a property i want to ask about, then print it out showing the property lines. I'll put the name and address of the landowners on it and hit the gravel. Although my luck was pretty bad finding anything new this year. I use that one along with Bing maps, Google Earth, and a whole host of others.

Google Earth--best ever
I like that one too, but i'm trying to get topos at the moment, which is why i was using the Iowa Geographic Map Server, and ran into that pesky problem.

Bing.com with birds eye view is the best I have seen if they have it in your area. Blows everything away.
Of course they don't have any of the areas i hunt in birds eye. It seems like more in the Iowa River bottom areas seem to have more of the birds eye views.

Last edited:
Iowa Geographic Map server does what your saying on my home computer but not my work computer. Not sure why...

I have a friend that works for the State/DNR. There is a project in the works to update almost all of these maps. Updated satellite views, terrain views, parcell breakdowns, along with providing all state public hunting areas.
It's just in the works and might take a few months to a year (which doesn't help for this fall) but we should see some pretty awesome maps provided by the DNR eventually.

You try to zoom into a specific area and it takes you so far off that you can't even tell which direction you went. Not very accurate. It seems like it's been doing it for the last year or so. Never noticed it before.

Anyone else have the same problem?

It could be the type of browser you are using...I have problems with certain programs like that on one browser but if you try a different one, it works just fine. Could give that a try

Thanks Shredder and jjohnson. You guys are reading my post. lol. I even tried it in compatibility view and that didn't seem to help either. Must be a browser thing. I had Google Chrome awhile back and if i remember right, it did it on that browser too.

Top Bottom