Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I missed - and it hurts bad....

KANSAN

PMA Member
Today was the opening day of Kansas' muzzleloader/archery season, and I blew it. The short version is I missed a 170 class 5x4 with my bow tonight, and barely caught belly hair. The deer ran off about 100 yards, and just stayed in the field. I tried everything I could think of to scare him off, but he wouldn't leave. Finally, I got out of my blind at dark and saw him along with several other deer running out of the field. This was the same buck that got downwind of me last year 15 minutes before I shot my 165. I was hunting about 200 yards from that spot tonight. He grew a lot this year, especially in mass - the G4 on the right side was thicker than a broom stick. Probably 22" inside or so.

I don't even own a muzzleloader, either.....somebody cheer me up, please!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Yeah, I think he'll re-surface. I just worry about scaring him off when I left. The good thing is, he didn't see me from the stand I encountered him in last year. He is my target deer, for sure!!

Well Jody...the only time I saw my buck this yr before I killed him was when I was holding an sd card, not a bow. He gave me a 2nd chance, you'll get yours. Make it good bud!

i always feel like its better to miss than to hit low or something....he'll get goffy in a month and you will whack him than.....

You'll get another chance at him Jody, I know exactly how you feel when that happens.

This was the opener and you have time to get another chance. Better to have shot and missed than to have a "bad" shot and lost him.

For some reason I would like to think that these things happen for some reason...possibly a bigger buck or only to have a more amazing story when you get him in round 3! I'm sure you'll be seeing him again soon enough. Keep the chin up and keep at it.

Jody, hang in there, it's too early to tag out on your only KS buck anyway! Stay after it, you'll get another chance I bet. BTW, I don't think muzzleloader season opens 'til Oct. 1st.

ya, ive been there too.... one thing i know is they are just deer, dont over credit them. once he gets chasin tail on his mind, nothing else will matter.

all you can do is get back out there, ill bet you see him again soon!

Kansas muzzleloader opened yesterday as well - I think it's open until October 6th. But archery hunters have to wear blaze orange while hunting right now....

Keep at him Jody, you'll get another crack! Dang deer, anyway...hate it when they make us play catch-and-release /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Watched your video the other day. Great job! Some really nice camera work in there /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Better to have a complete miss than a gut shot. Like all others said, he'll loosen up his witts when he smells a hot doe.

Season's early, there's plenty of time.

I had someone else tell me about the muzzleloader change as well, I guess the department/legislature changed their minds. I thought the muzzleloaders wanted a later season to avoid the hot weather... Oh well, good to know so I'll be legal with my orange on. Sorry for the tangent, good luck with that buck!

He will do an Arnold and "be back".
You didn't spook him too bad with the shot and he likely didn't know what you were when you climbed out of the blind after dark.

Good luck with him.

Top Bottom