Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I need professional help....with a shotgun setup

Old Buck

Life Member
I'm sorry to say we didn't get enough does killed by bow so I need to pick up a shotgun and go after them. Any suggestions on a good, semiautomatic, scoped setup for taking does?

Old Buck

well it's not a semi-automatic, but a remington 870 express with a simmons 8 point scope will more then do the job! that's my setup and it works excellent, 5 bucks with only a total of 6 shots taken, and 9 does with only 9 shots taken since i've had it! unless you shoot long distances, you don't need a scope, i myself don't use one, because of thick hilly terrain!

11 87 Remington 20 gauge rifled barrel and lightfield slugs has been proven with my father. I guess its all what you want to spend, but thats reasonable for piling up does.

The 1187 is a great choice but so is the Browning Gold and the Benelli SBE. The SBE has been tested as the most accurate in more than one comparison test but I don't have that data in front of me to back that statement. Unlike some of the others, I would go with the 12 gauge but I also would recommend that you consider using a front stuffer but I am not a professional so take it for what it is worth.

i have a buddy that wants to sell a remmington 11-87 (i think). 12 guage, rifled barrel, cantilever scope mount, and a 3x9 scope, for $400

as far as a capable gun, any shotgun will work, as long as it can throw a slug straight for 100 yards or so(pistol and/or muzzleloader are legal also)

Benelli Super Eagle II with your choice of scope. Very light wieght and a great handling gun. I'm sure you will take the time and put forth the effort to find the slug which performs the best. Rifled barrel and sabot slugs for me. As far as scope, if you are hunting a heavily wooded area instead of field edges, back off to a 2.5 power scope. Most of my shots are similar to bowhunting because of my stand placements.

With your experience as a bowhunter, I think you will find a scoped shotgun will easily take care of your doe harvest goals.
grin.gif

Good luck Larry!

Use a muzzleloader instead. Especially since you like bow hunting so much, it might get you addicted. Then you may be hunting big bucks with a smoke pole as well. Accuracies is much better, but they are not quite as convenient to load, shot, put away. Good luck.

Ditto to deadeye's post. Muzzleloading has put the fun back in gun hunting for me...and helps us to take several does each year as well. Good luck!

NWBuck

Pretty much any semi auto with either a rifled barrel and sabots or smooth bore and regular slugs as long as you figure out what that particular setup likes will do. Depending on how you setup or how you hunt- consider just rifle sights or even a red dot scope. They make some real tack drivers anymore but you can make ethical clean killing shots with most any gun anymore with a little practice.

Top Bottom