Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I need some help!

bradley

triplebeam
I can't seem to decide where to hunt this evening,do I hunt the corners of the ag fields mostly beans.The edge of a corn field along a creek line or way back in the bush mostly willows & grass.Or along the field edge where the bush meets natural clover?I am sure it could happen anywhere but always have trouble deciding where to go the first couple of hunts.Maybe I should just flip a coin!

It's always tough to tell where an when. Prior scouting an trail cameras are always a great help in determining the where and when. First - play the wind - that is a must! Second, if I'm unsure where to go this time of the year I would navigate towards lush bean fields.
Good luck.

I always play the wind but all the beans here are brown & lost there leaves so do I go to the corn or hang around the natural greens like clover?I have no trail cam pics of daylight movement up to last weekend obviously that might change due to the cold front.

I would tend to go for something green and low impact. With this wind you oughta be able to sneak in pretty easily but I'd be hesitant to sit next to bedding areas this early.

I'd hunt near where the pic in your avatar was taken :D

But seriously, nobody unfamiliar with your particular area can make as good of a decision as you can, but in general, I'd favor green fields or corn before beans at this time of year. It will change as the fall moves on.

NWBuck

If those bruisers you have are not daylight active currently I wouldn't hunt that farm yet. Those are some special deer and I personally would hate to educate my shooters this early.

i'M SURE I'LL HUNT THE FIELD EDGES THAT WAY I DON'T IMPACT THEM MUCH BUT THEY MIGHT MOVE TONIGHT. I HAVEN'T CHECKED MY CAMS SINCE LAST WEEK.

Last edited:
But seriously, nobody unfamiliar with your particular area can make as good of a decision as you can

NWBuck

Best advice right there.

However, I learned long ago to control my zeal this early. But when its cold and windy.....sure makes it harder. But l've never been one to be very successful with my target deer early on.

I have a cellular camera set up on a clover plot and have had deer feeding in it all day today! I'd sit near the greens!

Top Bottom