Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I quit smoking today...

Monsterbuck

Yep, finally pulled the trigger (figuratively) and ordered a Savage smokeless muzzleloader.

No more crud rings or scrubbing the bore late at night after a long day of hunting.

Anybody else shoot one of these? If so what loads, sabots and bullets are you using?

First off, youre gonna love that rifle!!

Get the black mmp sabots as mentioned above.
I believe above load is a base recommended load by Savage. In the manual they have 3 or 4 good starting points.

I shoot the base load they suggest with Accurate Arms powder (cant remember the # for some reason 4755???). 44 grains i believe. And i also shoot the Hornady xtp in .452". 250gr is recommended but i shoot a 300gr.

Easy 1" groups at 100yds, and the bullet did its job with plenty of room to spare on a 135yd shot.

Im gonna do more playing this summer with different loads. 200yd base sight-in will be no problem, and plenty energy left well outside of that.

Things you will want to get...
Good digital scale #1...
Used a hornady portable scale at first, but it takes forever to get same measurements. Ended up using a Hornady auto scale and measure several loads before going to range. Try measuring at the range once and youll go crazy...

#2. I use spent 7mm brass as quick loaders for the powder. If i remember correctly, a 7mm brass will overfill if you happen to double load one on accident. 30-06 will also work, but can fit in the bore whereas the 7mm wont.
Use those old school add-on erasers that are intended to replace erasers on say #2 pencils.. Use as caps on the brass to keep powder in place. Ya follow?

#3. Good scope!
#4. Good automotive anti-seize for breech threads. I use the copper hi-temp..

Forgot, most 709 primers will be fine. Im using regular winchester 709.

Dont think im forgetting anything, and sorry if youre aware of all of this!

Awesome info thanks! I've been wanting one for awhile then they stopped production and now have done a limited run so I figured I'd better buy one.

What are you using for a scope and scope mounts? One thing I've heard is the mounts can be spaced a little wide depending on scope length.

Congrats on the purchase. With more and more guys saying how awesome that rifle is I may take the plunge eventually as well.

What are you using for a scope and scope mounts? One thing I've heard is the mounts can be spaced a little wide depending on scope length.
This was posted to the ModernMuzzleloader forum:
[FONT=&quot]
Weaver "Grand Slam" steel bases (#S46), available from Brownells-- their part # 955-000-026. Alternatively, Warne Maxima steel bases, part # M902, are also available from Brownells. The Brownells part # is 947-629-020. They appear to be identical; the Weaver Grand Slam bases are a bit less expensive. The current production 10ML-II has a round receiver, and takes the same base front and rear. The Warne bases are also available in a silver finish, please see Brownells as well for these.

Call Brownells at 1-800-741-0015.

I have a Nikon Monarch 2X7 scope on one rifle, el cheapo 3X9 on the other..
[/FONT]

Yep, finally pulled the trigger (figuratively) and ordered a Savage smokeless muzzleloader.

No more crud rings or scrubbing the bore late at night after a long day of hunting.

Anybody else shoot one of these? If so what loads, sabots and bullets are you using?
67 or 68 grains H4198 pushing 300 grain Barnes originals. Orange MMP sabot. Packs quite the punch but the accuracy and flat shooting groups are incredible.

Savage really never did quit making the guns. They said they would but then found due to all guns selling out overnight and huge demand for more, they did a final run followed by announcing they would continue making them until the demand goes away. Only blued barrels are being made and I don't know for how much longer but they are still made and readily available.

Unlike another post, I do not like the digital scales.

I do agree to weigh your charges before going to the range. I use the plastic vials that are available from several sources. I think it is 5mm for the powder that I use and a couple 10mm for spare bullets and sabots.

Federal 209A primers have been my choice for this gun.

Teflon tape for the breech plug.

Plan on replacing your vent liner every 25-30 shots. Maybe more, maybe less depending on the powder and vent liner you use. Savage and Lehigh vent liners are both good ones. Others might be good too, I just have not tried them or had a reason to.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen 4198 mentioned in any load data I've read. Do you know what kind of fps you're getting?

I didn't realize the vent liners needed replaced that often. Where do you order them?

Anybody try the multi dot scopes like the Nikon BDC? Just wondering if the spacing on the aim points are reasonably accurate with a muzzleloader.

I wish they still made the laminated stocks, I ordered the camo composite stock on mine.

Last edited:
Probably slightly over 2,350 fps with a great ballistic coefficient. Makes for a flat shooter.
4198 is similar to Vihtavuouri N120, probably easier to find. That FPS sounds about right. I tried N120 briefly, got most of a two pound container left.

I didn't realize the vent liners needed replaced that often. Where do you order them?

Anybody try the multi dot scopes like the Nikon BDC? Just wondering if the spacing on the aim points are reasonably accurate with a muzzleloader.

I wish they still made the laminated stocks, I ordered the camo composite stock on mine.

Savage sells the vent liners and Lehigh or others do too.

Savage also still makes and sells the laminated stocks. Quite pricey though. Several others make good stocks for the gun too.

Get tired of the kick or couldn't get it to shoot?

Got tired of the kick.

I also had some bad scope rings at the time. Changed rings and the first powder I shot after was SR4759 and the groups convinced me to stick with it instead of revisiting the N120.

The Barnes Original bullets can also be hard to find from time to time. Though I was shooting 300 grain XTPs for the few N120 shots.

If I head out west sometime, I might revisit the N120/Barnes load, but probably just get rid of the N120. I got into reloading for my .44 Mag and IMR 4227, AA 5744 and SR4759 can be used. N120 can not. I'd suggest people stay away from the IMR 4227 for the Savage ML10, but I was able to get rid of it by loading for the pistol (preferred by many for the .44).

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Well, ordered two boxes of the Barnes Originals direct from Barnes this morning (free shipping) and placed an order for the orange MMP sabots. So looks like I'll be revisiting the N120.

Guess I'll be prepared for the Zombie invasion, just a little slow. Might need a second person to reload one rifle while I'm shooting the other. :D

Well, ordered two boxes of the Barnes Originals direct from Barnes this morning (free shipping) and placed an order for the orange MMP sabots. So looks like I'll be revisiting the N120.

Guess I'll be prepared for the Zombie invasion, just a little slow. Might need a second person to reload one rifle while I'm shooting the other. :D

The Remington .458 rifle bullet 300 grain hp (.45-70) is another that some have had good luck with. Lower price than the Barnes so I might try them when I run out of Barnes.

Also, the Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot likes some guns better than the MMP orange. Another thing I might try someday.

Lastly, flat base bullets. No boattail bases.

Also, the Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot likes some guns better than the MMP orange. Another thing I might try someday.
I got me some of them, too.:D

I also have an unopened box of Barnes Expander MZ 50 cal 245 grain spit-fire bullets/sabots. Next to them is half a box of Hornady .452 250 grain FTX bullets (split the box with a friend).

Look out Monsterbuck, things might get out of hand. :D

People who buy the Savage have different reasons. My main motivation was to get away from BP and BP subs (Triple7, Pyrodex, etc.).

Some look to "hot rod" hoping for a "bean field" rifle, pushing velocity and flat shooting trajectory to the max. So the first thing you need to decide is what kind of rifle you want to "build" and go from there. Looking for a cheap round to shoot? Then opt for the .452 Hornady 250 grain XTP (~$20/box of 100) and MMP sabots over 5744/4759 or maybe 4227 if you can handle an occasional misfire (you must have a TIGHT sabot/bullet over 4227 to get ignition). Looking for a long range/flat shooter? 4198/N120 behind something like a 300 grain Barnes Original.

In regards to the FTX bullets, I had bad experiences with the SST/sabot combos sold in sporting goods store. They tend to fragment BIG TIME, basically bombs. But in all fairness, I was shooting "short range" (~ 100 yards). Longer ranges they might have slowed down enough not to frag. Anyhow, a friend was interested in trying the FTX's and I figured I would split a box with him. I worried that the FTX's are just the SST's in bulk form. Maybe I'll get around to trying them, but I keep grabbing the 250 grain XTPs when I head out the door.

I think I fit both those have categories. I was initially drawn to the Savage because I hated having to clean my knight every time I shot it. Kill a deer after sunset, field dress it, drag it a mile back to the truck, drave an hour and a half to get back home, get the deer hung, strip out of your hunting clothes, grab something to because your famished and finally shower to wash off the earth scent scentaway and the sweat from dragging the deer. It's LATE and I'm exhausted. Last thing I want to do is take apart my gun and clean it!

Ok, now I am intrigued by the improved ballistics of the smokeless. We bought some ground last year and I'm putting in some CRP and food plots. I actually might get a 250yd shot, something extremely rare before. I'm going to start trying out the 300gr Barnes original and maybe the vv120 or the h4198. If it doesn't kick like a mule and I can get good accuracy out of it.

Top Bottom