Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I took a kid hunting.............again....

stuffy

If you remember, last year I had a post about taking my neighbor kid turkey hunting, for his first time. Well, he was successful,getting one bird, and was hooked, and couldnt wait for this spring.
I began this year with my bow and arrow, and about every morning this one ol' bird would tease me with his hens, but never gave me a shot. He was the king of this forest.
Time to, "call the kid". The first morning a coyote ruined our hunt, but later paid the price for doing so. That was caught all on tape. The second time out, after about an 1 1/2 hours of hunting, the big ol' boy was taken, and will probably be one of the biggest turkeys, that this young man will take.
26 1/2 pounds, two beards, one was 10", and the other 8 1/2. One spur was 1 1/4 and the other 1". Pretty happy hunter and "guide" that morning, except I left the camcorder back about ten yards from where we set up.
His next bird, was one of those, "call and bring him through the early morning green lush timber, at sunrise, gobbling and strutting." and this one was on tape !! Classic footage.
Bird was 20 pounds, 1" spurs, and his beard was only about 1 1/2, looked like the mites had gotten to it.
Let me tell you, I busted my butt all spring to tag one with a bow. But when you take a kid hunting, call,watch and record them, getting their birds,(or coyote) its just as good as a feeling, or better, than getting one yourself.
I think he'll be ready for next year !!
I know I will be.

6461.jpg

6462.jpg

6463.jpg

Nice Work Stuffy!
waytogo.gif

I hunted so much with my kids this Spring I almost forgot I had a tag!
confused.gif

Congratulations stuffy for takening the time and being a mentor for a young person to learn to hunt.
waytogo.gif

It is a very rewarding experence for the both of you I am sure.
smile.gif

Cool story, glad to see you introducing youngsters to the sport. I bet the videos you got are awesome, I might have to take a look at them next fall when I bring you another buck!!!

I have also learned to love guiding/calling for others during the turkey season, it is such a rush helping someone else get a bird. Good job and congrats to both of you.

Kratz

Nice work, stuffy!!! I couldn't agree more when it comes to taking others turkey hunting for the first time ... what a great feeling to see someone else get hooked on turkey hunting!
-Longspurs-

Top Bottom