Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

Help an uninformed guy out.....

I know it is illegal to hunt by baiting in Ia,....is it legal however to have say corn in front on cameras during hunting season?

If it is I will openly admit that I find it hard to understand why some people may be anti "baiting" but pro "feeding" in front of cams, Does one not directly affect the other, like.....I can't hunt bait, but I can have corn in a cam location so I'll put the corn there and intercept them on their way to the corn???

Just curious and confused a bit I guess. I'm pretty indifferent but will admit that it seems weird to me that you can have one but not the other. For the record I am neither here nor there just curious.

I can have corn in a cam location so I'll put the corn there and intercept them on their way to the corn???

That would be illegal. Food or mineral in front of a camera is not illegal, trying to hunt deer on their way to that location is illegal. Completely up to the CO if he thinks you are "hunting" over the food or mineral.

Help an uninformed guy out.....

I know it is illegal to hunt by baiting in Ia,....is it legal however to have say corn in front on cameras during hunting season?

If it is I will openly admit that I find it hard to understand why some people may be anti "baiting" but pro "feeding" in front of cams, Does one not directly affect the other, like.....I can't hunt bait, but I can have corn in a cam location so I'll put the corn there and intercept them on their way to the corn???

Just curious and confused a bit I guess. I'm pretty indifferent but will admit that it seems weird to me that you can have one but not the other. For the record I am neither here nor there just curious.

you can put cameras out during season with bait in front of it.But the way my dnr officer stated it was that you couldnt hunt any trail leading to the bait.I would never have corn out on any of the farms i am hunting during the deer season.Easy way to get into trouble.

I know of a guy that was hunting on a fenceline with about 200 pounds of corn in front of his stand.Of course the neighbor saw it and turned him in.Local co waited for him to get in the stand.then took his new 1500.00 bow,his treestand,his trail camera,then fined him.He is now know as the masterbaiter.

UGHHHHHH......I want to know how many DNR Officers go stake out a bait pile for days/weeks on end. LOL. Thats hilarious.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait until a vehicle is parked in the area, and sneak towards where the known baitpile is at? Hmmm....yeh, I think it would.

This bill is stupid. Rediculous. I'm not even going to go into why, because debating it is pointless on this website.

Gotta love having more 'big brother' in our lives.

Last edited:
Someone got a copy of the bill because I am not even sure what we are debating. Does the bill ban mineral all year?

To the IBA,

We will be moving forward again with a wildlife baiting/feeding bill again this year (language below). I would like to know your organization’s position on this bill. Please send me an email with your response and cc those on the list above. If you have any doubts about the need for this I suggest you contact your local conservation officer and ask their opinion of the feeding/baiting issue in Iowa. We are clearly aware that most of the hunting land in Iowa is in private ownership but the wildlife resources belong to everyone.

Dale Garner[DNR]

Section 1. NEW SECTION. 481A.41 Feeding or baiting of
2 wildlife —— hunting on baited areas —— penalty.
3 1. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise
4 requires:
5 a. “Baited area” means an area where any feed is
6 intentionally placed, deposited, distributed, or scattered for
7 the sole purpose of luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife
8 to, on, or over a specific location. An area shall remain a
9 baited area for thirty days following complete removal of all
10 feed, except for salt, minerals, or any other feed that will
11 dissolve and leach into the soil, in which case such area shall
12 be considered a permanently baited area until such time as
13 all contaminated soil is either removed or covered in such a
14 manner that the area no longer serves to artificially attract
15 wildlife.
16 b. “Feed” means any grain, fruit, vegetable, nut, hay,
17 salt, mineral, or any other natural food material, commercial
18 products containing natural food materials or by-products of
19 such materials, or other food material that is capable of
20 luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife. Scents or lures used
21 to mask human odor or attract wildlife by the sense of smell
22 are not considered feed.
23 c. “Livestock” means the same as defined in section 717.1.
24 d. “Wildlife” means any wild bird or wild animal, except
25 fish or turtles, residing in or migrating through the state of
26 Iowa.
27 2. Except as provided in subsection 3, it shall be unlawful
28 for a person to establish or maintain a baited area on any
29 public or private property or for a person who lawfully
30 controls private property to knowingly allow another person to
31 establish or maintain a baited area on that private property.
32 It shall be unlawful for a person to hunt, take, or attempt to
33 take any wildlife on or in a baited area.
34 3. The prohibitions contained in subsection 2 are not
35 applicable to the following:
-1-

1 a. Feed that is used to attract wildlife for viewing and
2 observation if the feed is placed within fifty yards of a
3 residence, dwelling, or other structure permanently inhabited
4 by a person. However, such an area shall be considered a
5 baited area for the purpose of hunting, taking, or attempting
6 to take wildlife in or on that area.
7 b. Feed that is present solely as a result of normal
8 agricultural, forest management, orchard management, wildlife
9 food planting, or other similar land management practices.
10 c. Feed that is placed for agricultural or livestock
11 purposes if one or more of the following conditions apply:
12 (1) The feed is placed for domestic livestock that are
13 present and actively consuming the feed on a regular basis.
14 (2) The feed is stored in a manner consistent with the
15 person’s normal agricultural practices.
16 d. Feed that is placed for purposes including but
17 not limited to population control, capture and handling
18 of wildlife, or other specific purposes under written
19 authorization from the director or the director’s designee,
20 or as otherwise provided by law. This section shall not
21 be construed to limit employees of agencies of the state,
22 the United States, or local animal control officers in the
23 performance of their official duties related to education,
24 public health, wildlife management, or wildlife removal.
25 e. Feed that is placed for the purpose of luring fur-bearing
26 animals for hunting or trapping as permitted by law.
27 f. Feed that is placed within the confines of a whitetail
28 deer hunting preserve that is licensed by the department
29 pursuant to chapter 484C.
30 g. Recreational feeding of waterfowl at federal, state,
31 county, or city parks or refuges if not otherwise prohibited by
32 the managing agency or municipality of such parks or refuges.
33 4. When entering private property, a person who is an
34 official or agent of the department, or a person accompanying
35 such an official or agent of the department, shall comply with
-2-

1 the provisions of section 455B.103. The person shall also
2 comply with standard biosecurity requirements customarily
3 required by the owner of livestock on the property and which
4 are necessary in order to control the spread of disease among a
5 livestock or wildlife population.
6 5. A person who violates any provision of this section
7 is guilty of a simple misdemeanor punishable as a scheduled
8 violation under section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph “e”.
9 6. In addition to any other penalties imposed under this
10 section, a person charged with unlawful establishment or
11 maintenance of a baited area shall immediately remove all feed
12 from the baited area. Failure to do so shall constitute an
13 additional violation of this section for each day that the feed
14 remains.
15 Sec. 2. Section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph e, Code
16 2011, is amended to read as follows:
17 e. For violations of sections 481A.41, 481A.57, 481A.85,
18 481A.93, 481A.95, 481A.120, 481A.137, 481B.5, 482.3, 482.9,
19 482.15, and 483A.42, the scheduled fine is one hundred dollars.
20 EXPLANATION
21 This bill prohibits the feeding, baiting, or taking of
22 certain wildlife under specified circumstances and makes
23 penalties applicable.
24 New Code section 481A.41 prohibits the establishment
25 or maintenance on any public or private land of a “baited
26 area”, which is created by intentionally placing, depositing,
27 distributing, or scattering feed for the sole purpose of
28 luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife to a specific
29 location. The provision also prohibits a person who lawfully
30 controls private property from knowingly allowing another
31 person to establish or maintain a “baited area” on that private
32 property. The provision also prohibits hunting, taking,
33 or attempting to take wildlife in such an area. There are
34 a number of specific exceptions to the prohibition against
35 feeding or baiting wildlife. A violation of new Code section
-3-
LSB 1309DP (5) 84
av/sc 3/4

That would be illegal. Food or mineral in front of a camera is not illegal, trying to hunt deer on their way to that location is illegal. Completely up to the CO if he thinks you are "hunting" over the food or mineral.

That's the part I don't get I guess. I won't confess to knowing understanding Ia's habitat very much, I guess the reason I was wondering is that in a place such as more central SK there is more agriculture than here. I could use my father in law's land near Biggar as an example, connected to larger timber by a "tree row". If he were to put bait down in a slogh bottom you could guarantee deer would travel that 1/2-1 mile stretch of tree row to get to it and he could easily be 3/4 mile from the bait but still know how they would travel to get to it. I guess that's the "weird" part to me, being able to do one but not the other. It seems like I would not want to be put into the position of CO and have to use my discretion whether something is legal or not.

Has anyone contacted there local conservation officer like it says in the letter to see there response.

What I think is funny is that the reasoning behind the bill is for enforcement reasons.......YEH, RIIIIIIIIIITE.

Food Plots will be next! You will have to be able to harvest it!

I really don't think that would ever happen. I think they should just be honest and not claim its to stop the spread of disease but to keep a certain ethical standard to our hunting. I have no problem with that until they say we cannot plant or more so hunt over food plots. IMHO there is a big difference between planting a food plot and putting out feed/minerals and hunting over them.

Food is food. Food plots will be next.A certain size requirement. Those with equipment, large areas. The small poor guy with a weedeater, or hoe,,,toast.Everything headed twards $$$$.

Can you tell me how they came to their decision? When this was brought up last year I thought the majority of the members weren't in favor of it. Looks like I may be too late to voice my opinion again, but I've sent off an email anyway. I can tell you for certain though, if the IBA supports this bill they will no longer be supported by me.

Same here.

I'm old school and like the idea of knowing what u have in the woods by ACTUALLY seeing it with your own eyes, or a farmer letting you know he saw a buck. Hunting early season in a food plot, because your camera's timer shows a buck there everyday at 3 pm, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also if a mineral or bait pile has some major trails leading to it, and you setup 200 yds away on a trail leading to the camera setup/bait pile, arent you in fact, using bait as an advantage? I never bought or was interested in trail cams, BUT, they are called trail cams and NOT bait cams, arent they?

UGHHHHHH......I want to know how many DNR Officers go stake out a bait pile for days/weeks on end. LOL. Thats hilarious.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait until a vehicle is parked in the area, and sneak towards where the known baitpile is at? Hmmm....yeh, I think it would.

This bill is stupid. Rediculous. I'm not even going to go into why, because debating it is pointless on this website.

Gotta love having more 'big brother' in our lives.

Exactly. I've tried to explain how I feel about it, but the "professionals" seen to get more attention. I guess spending 365 days a year in the whitetail world doesn't get me any attention on what I do, say, see each year.

Another thing that just really makes me sick is, I have friends who are dealers in mineral and whitetail protien suppliments. This is going to hurt them dearly on their income, but hey, IBA SUPPORTS THE IOWA BOWHUNTER!!!!!

I really wish the IBA would have stayed neutral on this. This was not their fight to fight, nor any type of battle that they needed to be involved in.

Think about all the companies in Iowa that base all or part of thier livlihood off of the products that this bill will ban.
- Hunters Specialties has pages of products in their catalog dedicated to deer feeding and mineral products - Iowa based company!
- Iowa Gold - Talked with a very nice gentleman out of Indianola with similar products - more Iowa jobs on the line
- XWT out of Grinnel (bought out by someone I can't remember exactly)
- Lots more I'm sure I've not heard of or forgot

All Iowa based companies, paying wages to Iowans, keeping jobs in our area. Many would be put out of business with this new law.
Do we really want to put that many Iowans out of work and prevent them from making an honest living? Especially with the unemployment and economy issues we already have????

IMHO there is a big difference between planting a food plot and putting out feed/minerals and hunting over them.

IMHO there actually there isn't. Both are used to draw wildlife to a certain area...the food plot just covers a larger area. Standing corn or beans, turnips, brassicas, etc etc.....it is food left on the ground for the wildlife to consume hence drawing them in or "Baiting" per se. Just looking at it from all the perspectives

Top Bottom