Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ice fishing Big Spirit

fishorhunt

Heading to Spirit Lake in about a month for some ice fishing. Any tips, tricks or hints you locals would be nice enough to share. Anything is appreciated.

I'm not a local but I went to taxidermy school up there for 2 months and ice fished in the evenings... if ur looking for crappie, Anglers bay is the ticket. Its in the northeast corner.. fish where the crowd is, however when they all leave that's the best time to be there... everyone up there sight fishes by looking down the hole because the water is so clear.. they all packed their crap right after sunset after not catching anything because they couldn't see down their holes anymore and that's when schools of 11 and 12 inchers were coming in by the thousands.. the couple of us using vexilars were hammering them from about 1/2 hr before dark to 1/2 hr after.. we were about 100 yds off the bank straight south of where everyone parks on the hwy and I think we were in about 6-9 ft of water.. its a big weed bed so u have to drill a few holes to find a pocket in the weeds a couple feet in diameter.. I was just using waxworms on a glow in the dark jig.. minnows were working alright too

Marked lots of these.
3869-101_6880.1.jpg

2 hours today. 15" & 16" eyes, & footballs.
3869-101_6885.1.jpg

Walleye are hitting in the evenings, they have been going for about a week now! Better hurry!

Forgot to mention that if it warms up and the snow starts melting it clouds up the water in that bay and shuts them off

Where have been getting eyes and what time at night? These were caught between 8 & 10am.

My brother and buddies have been getting them off Templar just before dark. Nothing huge - a lot of good eating size. He has been south of the tent city you see out there.

Top Bottom