Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If you talk to a farmer, be careful

turkeyriver

PMA Member
With all the talk about high grain and land prices, just thought you should get a heads up. If the farmer you talk to is in a bad mood, it's because corn price has dropped almost $2 and beans almost $3 in the past month. Do the math and you see income lost on 150 bu./acre corn and 45 bu./acre beans. You might personally think it is a good thing, but if you hunt his land you might want to keep those feelings to yourself.

Farming is the biggest gamble of all. Heck I contracted some beans at 10.20 4 years ago and thought I was getting a heck of a deal....they went up to 17 before the harvest was taken....danged if you do...danged if you don't kind of deal sometimes when it comes to farming.

Not really sure I get this post TR. Do you think that same farmer would give a rats ass if the guy knocking on his door and talking to him had recently lost his job due to the economy and cutbacks? There are hard times all across the U.S right now and I don't know to many people that are feeling sorry for the farmers right now.

blakesburg said:
Hopefully the farmer was smart and contracted alot or most of his crop before the drop.

My Dads pretty stressed about it. First the winds and now the prices dropping. He didn't even want to hunt with me because he was so stressed but he was kind enough to come along. He only sold 40% of his crop before the drop in corn.

My thoughts are.....corn could be $2 a bushel and not drop $2 a bushel.

Look at the bright side!!!! :)

I remember when wheat here was less then $2 a bushel.......then a couple years ago it was over $20....now farmers complain about $10 wheat prices....I think it is hilarious.

By the way my dad is a farmer so I support farmers 100%, but most of them sure like something to complain about. lol

Why the drop?

It's harvest time. Prices always drop. Got about 80% of ours locked in anywhere from 6-7 bucks for corn and 12 for beans.

Talk to any farmer that has been farming for over 20 years and they will say this aint nothing as I know for a fact we have sold a lot of 1.75 corn.

Corn and soybean prices

Lower crop prices will result in reduced demand for land as well, I was thinking 2013 would be a correction year, but who knows it might be earlier...??

Just an info post dedgeez. Not asking for sympathy. Just letting people know farmers may not be in a great mood. I forward sold some of mine for a great price too, but with the weather this year it was difficult to sell something you didn't know you were going to have. Now think of the farmers in a bad area that have a small crop on top of dropping prices. Good luck this weekend!!

By the way my dad is a farmer so I support farmers 100%, but most of them sure like something to complain about. lol

I agree, I support farmers also, especially the dairy guys. I grew up on a family owned dairy farm in MI. About 15 years ago my uncle retired and they sold the cows and my dad got a "normal" job. People ask my dad if he misses farming and he just basically laughs as milk prices are pretty much the same today as they were when they got out almost 15 years ago. Not many people willing to work 7 days a week for 15 years with no pay raise. At least the crop farmers have seen some good years recently, even with the recent drop. I really feel for the dairy guys as they continue to take a beating on milk prices.

Fairly normal for the price to drop when the harvest first starts. Six weeks from now when they know what the real numbers are it will probably shoot back up. As far as land prices dropping, I heard this morning an 80 here in mahaska county sold for $15,300 an acre this week.

Yields aren't looking the best this year compared to the past. China is now having concerns about feeding their growing population as well. I look for the prices to rebound late in the year or early next. But that just IMO

One of my friends said he always contracts just enough to cover all of his expenses and saves the rest to gamble with.. that way he never actually loses anything

My thoughts are.....corn could be $2 a bushel and not drop $2 a bushel.

Look at the bright side!!!! :)

I remember when wheat here was less then $2 a bushel.......then a couple years ago it was over $20....now farmers complain about $10 wheat prices....I think it is hilarious.

Good point but the flip side is when corn goes up to $7 fertilizer, fuel, everything gets more expensive to match. So when prices drop again margins are cut. You are absolutely right, it could be $2 corn but would likely be $2 corn inputs too. Its always a gamble, you just ahve to pray and hope that everything works out.

This is about the worse time of year to talk to almost any farmer :)
No doubt!!

I had a guy stop by the farm last weekend and my first thought was "Wow, a week before season and you are finally getting around to ask???".

Good point but the flip side is when corn goes up to $7 fertilizer, fuel, everything gets more expensive to match. So when prices drop again margins are cut. You are absolutely right, it could be $2 corn but would likely be $2 corn inputs too. Its always a gamble, you just ahve to pray and hope that everything works out.

Exactly, 13 dollar beans come with much higher inputs than 5 dollar beans....same with corn.

Top Bottom