Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IL DNR in hot water

the link didn't work for me
frown.gif

Typical Illinois.....ooops I mean Chicago politics. I know they get taxed less and retirement wages aren't taxed, but I couldn't bring myself to put up with the crap rolling out of Chicago all the time.

Try this one. permit scam Makes me pretty upset when me and my friends who are die-hards are not able to draw permits to hunt our own backyards. This Democratic State of Chicago has got me about ready to move. Iowans got it pretty good compared to us.

HC, we've got a few openings coming up at the firehouse. LOL

Fair hunting in my area, nothing like NE or SE though.

If it weren't for the government in this state, it would almost be a nice place to live!
grin.gif
This is just showing how into the toilet the DNR in this state has gone. They keep screwing with the tags, check-ins, etc., just to save a few bucks (dollars), and make it easier for poachers to do their thing, and harder for legal hunters to hunt, even on their own lands.
mad.gif

Bukmastr,
Thanks for posting the link. The QC Times must keep moving the article. The story you linked to is more in depth anyway.

Just in case the link fails again, here is the artical.

Some hunters get an easy shot
By Kevin McDermott
POST-DISPATCH SPRINGFIELD BUREAU
04/11/2007

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — While most hunters in Illinois must enter lotteries and cross their fingers that they'll win a hunting permit, politically connected sportsmen are routinely allowed to circumvent that process — leading to excessive hunting and possibly endangering hunter safety, a new audit says.

A report released Tuesday by the Illinois auditor general's office says a state agency is abusing a regulatory loophole to allow favored hunters to forgo the usual deer and turkey hunting permit lottery systems.

Instead, those favored hunters are handed permits through "administrative approvals" at the whim of officials at the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, even as other hunters are turned away.

"The department failed to make the administrative approval process open to the public, resulting in preferential treatment for certain hunters," states the report.

The special permit process was created for relatively rare circumstances, yet the agency has issued at least 1,250 of them between 2004 and 2006, states the audit. The recipients include "professional athletes, judges and politicians."

The audit doesn't identify those recipients. Officials at Natural Resources declined to furnish the names on Tuesday.

Although the agency has accepted the audit's recommendation to reform the permit process, spokeswoman Marcelyn Love on Tuesday defended that process. Love noted in an e-mail that the agency issued nearly 1.3 million regular deer and turkey hunting permits during the two-year period in question, and that the 1,250 special permits are a tiny sliver of that total.

"DNR feels it is well within its rights to issue permits in this manner. This has been a longstanding practice that has been used by previous directors," Love wrote. "A majority of the permits requested are for individuals who missed the application deadline for qualifying for a permit and every permit issued contributes to our ability to manage the deer population of the state."

The vast majority of people who hunt in Illinois must get their permits through a lottery system designed to limit the number of hunters at a given site — usually by county — in each hunting season. The lottery process favors in-state residents, but even they can often be out of luck at the more popular sites, leaving them to settle for another site or wait until the next lottery.

Hunter Larry Dale says he has only been able to hunt a few times over the years at the popular Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish & Wildlife Area near his Petersburg, Ill., home because there are always so many lottery competitors for the limited number of permits. MORE ONLINE
PDF of the audit

"I have kind of given up," he said.

Dale, a hunting safety instructor who operates a website called Illinoishunter.com, said he has heard of the state process that allows allocation of special hunting permits for specific reasons, and he doesn't have a problem with the concept, "as long as it isn't used excessively." He said most hunters likely would understand the need to bypass the usual lottery rules for, say, a charity hunting event.

But Dale was surprised at the audit's findings that 1,250 of the special permits were handed out from 2004 to 2006. "I would have expected that number to be under 100," he said. He said it would be especially galling to many Illinois hunters if it turns out the special permits are allowing out-of-state residents to hunt at the best sites while many Illinois residents are shut out.

"Certainly, there should be some special permits available for specific circumstances," said Dale. "But if it's just for athletes and politicians, I would have a problem with that."

According to the audit, the "administrative approval" permit system was set up to allow the state to grant hunting permits for unusual circumstances like visiting dignitaries from other countries, conservation officials from other states and guests of the governor. But instead of those limited purposes, the audit states, the special permits have routinely been bestowed by Natural Resources officials on favored hunters "in circumvention of the lottery process."

In addition, the audit states, many of the forms were incomplete, leaving out adequate explanation for the special permits and other required information.

Twenty of the permits went to the manager of a hunting lodge, with no documentation to show that person paid the required $600 in fees, the audit found. It also found that five representatives of an ammunition company were given three permits each, again without apparently paying the required fees.

In addition, the audit states, many of the special permits were granted to hunters who already had won permits through the regular lottery process, giving them additional hunting rights. Several special permits were issued before the regular lotteries, diminishing the number of available permits, while others were approved after the permits were gone, resulting in more hunting at some sites than there was supposed to be.

"Hunters in excess of quota targets could lead to hunter safety problems," states the report.

Not pointing this at anyone in this thread, but it is easy to complain on an internet forum but if you truely feel things are not right, ride your elected officials like a rented mule!

This story was in today's paper. I like Sen. Forby's assessment of the situation.

Baseball players get special hunting treatment
By Kurt Erickson | Friday, April 13, 2007
(0) Comments | Rate this article | Default | Large

SPRINGFIELD — Heading into a baseball game this week against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Colorado Rockies first baseman John Mabry was hitless for the year.

But when it came to getting a hunting permit in Illinois two years ago, the former St. Louis Cardinal hit a home run.

Mabry is among a handful of current and former professional ballplayers who were given Illinois hunting permits without having to take their chances in a lottery alongside other less-connected hunters, according to a report released earlier this week.

The list of who received the permits was released by Auditor General William Holland’s office Wednesday.

According to the documents, other players who received the permits include pitchers Jake Peavy and Cal Eldred, former catcher Mike Matheny and former utilityman Eli Marrero. Chicago White Sox slugger Jim Thome, a Peoria-area native, also received one of the special permits.

In addition to ballplayers, the list included current and former state lawmakers, including state Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, state Rep. Brandon Phelps, D-Harrisburg, and state Rep. Mike Bost, R-Murphysboro.

When asked if he thought it was wrong that extra permits were given out — some to prominent, well-connected people — Forby said he wouldn’t mind if twice as many licenses were distributed.

“We have too many damn deers in my district,” Forby said.

According to Holland, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources doled out an “excessive” number of permits through a process that is not advertised to the public.

Usually, deer- and turkey-hunting permits are issued to people through a lottery-like system to prevent over-hunting in some areas.

I seen Mabry at the bar that weekend he was down for shotgun season in Pike county. He bought my girlfriend and her friends a drink that night and they got his autograph. He was down w/ another player and they were suppose to be in their stands by 5 a.m because they were going to get video'd. He was at the bar till atleast 1 a.m because the bartender kept the place open late. Before they left, they said they were off to another bar, and they were'nt feelin no pain! Wonder how the hunt went?

[ QUOTE ]
HC, we've got a few openings coming up at the firehouse. LOL

Fair hunting in my area, nothing like NE or SE though.

[/ QUOTE ] I may have to look into that RB Boy, besides, our city is turning back into the wild west. One of our quints took a couple stray rounds during a shootout in traffic. People are nuts.

Top Bottom