Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Illegal to intentionally screw with someone's hunt?

This topic got me thinking, do you have to be 200 yds away from neighbor to bowhunt?

I don't think so? In MN we have a rule where you cannot discharge a firearm near a farm site, buildings/cattle etc...

Archery, I doubt it

It sounds like it is for sure a "hunter harassment"... Probably tough to get a CO on your side though because Id imagine itd be tough to prove that his intention was to ruin Someones hunt

It sounds like it is for sure a "hunter harassment"... Probably tough to get a CO on your side though because Id imagine itd be tough to prove that his intention was to ruin Someones hunt

Would not be tough to prove, and several witnesses.

Nov 4-5-and 6th
20-30 rapid fire shots at 5:00 PM

Dec 2and 3rd
10-15 rapid fire shots at 6:35 AM

Shots are only fired when he's sees someone hunting.

I agree with a lot of you, the CO needs to pay him a stern visit...thing is, this guy has been employed around local law enforcement for 30+years. He's not afraid. Especially after I looked this up, first offense is only a simple a simple misdemeanor. Whoopi. I'm thinking not much can be done here short of building an 8"fence. This thing isn't pretty, just hoping it doesn't get ugly.

• Deleted by Sligh1
  • Reason: Duplicate
Show…
I agree with a lot of you, the CO needs to pay him a stern visit...thing is, this guy has been employed around local law enforcement for 30+years. He's not afraid. Especially after I looked this up, first offense is only a simple a simple misdemeanor. Whoopi. I'm thinking not much can be done here short of building an 8"fence. This thing isn't pretty, just hoping it doesn't get ugly.

While everything you said makes it a little less likely the CO has a lot of luck, what is the alternative? Letting him continue the behavior is not going to discourage him from doing it. If the CO needs more evidence, a video camera is your and the good neighbors best friend.

a video camera is your and the good neighbors best friend.
Bingo! That is exactly what is going to happen next week. Thanks to Maquoketa Valley Electric Coop, they are putting in fiber optic internet, and mine should be hooked up Monday. If any of you live in the phase 2 area, this is a great deal and a real luxury for someone living in a rural area. 1000 MBPS if you want it....yes, that is 1 gig! :) Anyway, high def motion cameras are going up and when they roll, it'll automatically email me and neighbor 2 with an option to live cell phone feed. Isn't technology great?!

It doesnt matter how obvious it seems to you... All he has to say is that its a coincidence or I shoot out there all the time and itd be really tough to prove otherwise... Technically he can go out and shoot as much as he wants whenever he wants if it effects your hunting or not. The burden of proof would rest in the CO being able prove that its not just recreational shooting and its sole intention is to interfere with simeones hunt and I really doubt any CO is going to go out if their way to do that. I do agree that a CO should make a house visit to "try" and shut it down but getting one to write a ticket to someone for shooting while on their own property is gonna be real tough without the guy admitting hes doing it to screw someones hunt up

Side note to all this.... these issues “usually” end after a couple years..... what I mean by that is there’s usually an “outcome” & I’ve seen the good & bad & ugly....
Gets nasty & fight and court, who knows. Bad

Outcome usually one of vast array:

One guy says screw it and sells.

Nail guy on camera

Get law involved to request a stop to it. Or put person on notice.

Guys get sick of doing this. It can’t be fun to spend time messing others hunt up. Sounds like it’s a revenge and bitter position & those usually don’t last as it’s no fun to Live in those shoes and world.

Finally tempers cool & cooler heads prevail.

Any of above & who knows what other outcome. I’d bet a nickel- good or bad- this ain’t gonna be same scenario 3 seasons from now.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's as simple as this but, does it have to be 200 yds from a house or building? Could the problem be solved by putting up a small storage shed in that area? If close enough neighbor #2 could prevent neighbor #1 from shooting anything on his own property!

I’ll still go full circle back to my “go to solution” with problem neighbors. IT WORKS!!!! He messes around by ur fence, has blinds near them, has lots of dry timber, tree stands..... I really go back to my “solves it all” approach here. Reasonable, effective, firm yet tasteful. Really gets the message across too. ;). Handle this like a gentleman.

35ed1b2a5cdc7d1ed7f0425ee67c036f.jpg

ce7bfe362d923518ffd5d66a315a9b29.jpg

4f2cc4c9b86b03c6bfead2849d5b67e5.jpg

I also have a solution for “buildings too close to where you hunt”. Especially if someone did set one there to discourage hunting. I have a tasteful & quick solution there too.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
By the description provided, #1 is pretty clearly in violation of the regulation designed to prevent interference with a hunt, at least IMO. See excerpt below. But proving it would be problematic. Meanwhile, it would NOT be as simple as dropping a shed in next to the fenceline to prevent him from shooting within 200 yards of a building, as the building needs to be inhabited by people or livestock. See second excerpt...

Clearly, the guy is a jerk and the dilemma is how to handle it without escalating it to a potentially dangerous situation. I think Skip is right, the situation may right itself after the guy learns that his shoot off did not prevent #2 from getting a buck yet that morning and/or he just gets tired of it.

From the IDNR website...
B) intentionally creating a visual, audio, olfactory or physical stimulus for the purpose of affecting the behavior of a furbearing animal, game bird or other game with the intent of obstructing or harassing another person who is lawfully hunting or trapping.

Also from the IDNR website...
PROHIBITED HUNTING NEAR BUILDINGS You cannot discharge a firearm, or shoot or attempt to shoot, a game or furbearing animal within 200 yards of a building inhabited by people or domestic livestock or a feedlot unless the owner or tenant has given consent to do so. Feedlot means a lot, yard or corral where livestock is confined for the purpose of feeding and growth prior to slaughter. Pastures, hayfields or cropfields where animals are allowed to graze are not considered feedlots.

• Deleted by Wapsi Tree Rat
Show…
Top Bottom