Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I'm bored, lets see some bucks

Guys, post up a pic and a short story of a buck or bucks you've taken in the past.

This is my first deer ever. Shot him running with my shotgun about 4 years ago. I've killed a few does with my gun since and a button buck with my bow. The goal this year is to kill a few does and a descent buck with my bow. But we'll see what happens.
dscn07231.jpg

And my bow kill. Walked into a shooting lane at 20 yards and I took the shot. Shot was a little ways back, but it did the job. He ran about 60 yards and fell.
DSCN1437.jpg

November 7, 2009 was the first hunt for me and my lone wolf assault on a new property that we got permission to over the summer. I saw a lot of movement throughout the whole day despite the 70 degree temperatures. At 4:30 I looked behind me to see this guy chasing a doe. She turned and led him by my stand at 18 yards. Game over. This is my second buck with my bow.

6487-dsc_0447_-_copy.jpg

This was the first deer I ever shot. I was nine years old and was hunting first shotgun season with my dad. I passed a little broken up six point earlier in the morning and right after he left I wanted to shoot him. My dad just kept telling me that he thinks I will get another chance. Around 8:00 I believe my dad told me shooter buck behind me. I turned, put the gun in the fork of the tree and shot. To say I was pumped is a huge understatement.

6487-drew_s_buck.jpg

Last edited:
i have shot 4 small (120"-130") ten pointers with shotgun and one button buck with shotgun. but now i have gotten into bow hunting. the last three years i have taken these bucks:

2007: 146" ten point. first bow buck ever on 11/22/07. borrowed a buddies bow to hunt thanksgiving break. he was following a doe, shot him at 25 yards.
290195005.jpg
315496947.jpg

2008: shot this 140" 11 ptr at 12 yds. he was chasing does. shot him on 11/26/08 during thanksgiving break. he had wire entangled in his rack.
345379795.jpg
345379876.jpg

2009: this this 11 ptr this fall. shot him on 11/22/09 during thanksgiving break as well. shot at 40 yds. got real lucky. 182 4/8" gross. 172 6/8" net.
384020334.jpg
388370371.jpg

Shot this guy during the 1st shotgun season of '08. We knew this deer was on the property and had been after him for a couple years. We guess he was at least 8.5 years old if not 9.5.
godzilla15.jpg

He is very very thick but only scored 145 5/8 net-very photogenic:D

She may only be a doe, but this is my first deer with a bow. I just started bow hunting last year and haven't shot a buck yet, I'm still proud of her.
101309doe2.jpg

Shot this guy during the 1st shotgun season of '08. We knew this deer was on the property and had been after him for a couple years. We guess he was at least 8.5 years old if not 9.5.
godzilla15.jpg

He is very very thick but only scored 145 5/8 net-very photogenic:D

She may only be a doe, but this is my first deer with a bow. I just started bow hunting last year and haven't shot a buck yet, I'm still proud of her.
101309doe2.jpg

dandy buck.
you sure you didnt beat him to death with that shovel.:grin:

In 2005, my buddies and I finally got drawn for a Coue's whitetail tag in southeastern AZ. Our hunt started on 11 November, which is extremely significant for my family as it is the anniversary the day my dad's company was ambushed and in a severe firefight in Vietnam (11/11/67) and we all grew up fighting that day with him over the years. My dad died the previous spring and I vowed to be out hunting/fishing on 11 November every chance I got. 11 November 2005 opened up to an extremely windy day and no deer were moving. 12 November found my buddy and I putting a stalk on a nice buck after picking him up feeding towards a bedding spot 400+ yards away. We planned a stalk and I took off. I got to within 140 yards of the buck bedded and had a decent shot, but couldn't figure out why my buddy wasn't following behind. I moved around the other side of an oak tree to catch my breath and figure something out when a 2nd buck busted me. Turns out that was the buck my buddy was watching. We were each watching different bucks, but thought we were watching the same and wondering why nobody was shooting. When buck #2 busted, my original buck busted and was gone. After a good laugh (and some cussing :thrwrck:), we sat for a couple of hours and watched some does move through. We decided to get up and move back down canyon to have lunch and sit where a side canyon comes into the main canyon.

While we were standing at the junction of the 2 canyons trying to decide which oak tree to sit under and eat lunch, a buck jumped from under one of the trees. I heard my buddy yell "Oh s%^t, buck!" and I turned to see it bounding away. Without thinking, I raised my rifle and fired somewhat instinctively. Imgagine my surprise to see the buck wheel around, hit. I fired a 2nd time to make sure and he dropped in his tracks. Turns out my first shot hit him right through the face as he was running away and the 2nd shot hit him through the neck. This was my first buck ever (first deer ever). Its also, currently, my only AZ deer. Coue's whitetail are known for being small deer and living in rough country, but I learned a great lesson that day. No matter how small they are, I'll never drag an entire deer 1.5 miles back to camp even if it's mostly downhill!! 12 November was the day my dad was airlifted out of the jungle with other wounded soldiers and I can't help but think he was watching over me that day! :way:

picture.php

Last edited:
dandy buck.
you sure you didnt beat him to death with that shovel.:grin:

lol, I get that a lot from those pics:)

Neither me or my buddy I was hunting with remembered a knife that day so we had to load him up and take him over to my friend's dad's place to clean him up. The shovel was used to toss the guts over the hill. Apparently he didn't want a pile of deer parts laying in his front yard:grin:

Some dandy bucks thus far on here, congrats to all!

Like some of the others I gained access to a farm for the 1st time in the '09 season and was fortunate enough to take this mature buck. This is the 1st buck I have taken with my bow after passing up young bucks on some heavily pressured farms for 4 years it was nice to get a crack at a mature deer. Came in from a rattling sequence and stopped at about 12 yards quartering away. Approx. 154"-156" gross and around 149"-150" net.

Great post! Really cool to see all the unique racks.
picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom