Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

im lost

ia_buck

i have been out all week moring and night muzzleloading and only saw maybe 4 deer within shooting range they were small does... i have been in different spots and over 2 standing corn fields.. this is how bow season was for me... im just getting confussed and annoyed.. :confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

Are you seeing deer out feeding on your drive home in the evening or later into the evening? I've seen a lot of movement at around 10pm on food sources, last night being the exception, since last Saturday. There is snow, it's not quite cold enough, and there is a lot of light at night. Hang in there, I bet it gets better within a week.

I'm in mahaska county, south central Ia. The deer have been out feeding well before dark all week here, most of our snow is gone. I have been watching a herd from my barn and they were on their feet by 4 yesterday and went straight to the corn field. There is a decent buck in this herd and he has been bumping does and grunting some, I assume some young does are holding his interest.

I like to do alot of scouting the first week of late muzzy to figure out the patterns and give them some time to calm down from the gun seasons.

With the snow blowing in tonight, it should be a good evening to hunt. I'm trying to get out of work at a decent time to make it out there. I've got a great spot where the come out of the CRP and feed into the cut cornfield. Hopefully the crooked 7 I'm after didn't get slugged these past few weekends!

yes danny i see alot driving home on privet land lol right next their barn lol.... i hunt public land in norhtwest iowa... i know its still early but last yr at this time i was see all kinds in those spots.... i know they change every yr heck ever week lol.. but im just gettng tired of the whole guessing game lol.. i know its called hunting and not shooting ... but some days i wish it was called shooting and not hunting lol .. im sorry im just venting but owell uess ill get back out there tonight in the snow.. its suppose to snow tonight and tomarrow 2-6inches... thanks for the ears and letting me vent hope u guys have better luck then i do ...

I'd be on stand tonight, with the weather blowing in they will be on the move. I'm heading out this afternoon at about 1:30.

have been hunting standing corn and standing beans so far this week..hardly any action trail cams are showing all the movement is late like 10:30 ish. we need some cold cold weather and its not looking like there is any on the ten day forecast unfortunetly.

i have a xmas concert for my boy at 11 im hopping to be in the stand at 230... it looks like its going to be high 20s.... the next 10 days.

Public land is all that comes to mind when you said it. Was that public a lot better last year? Could it received more pressure this year? Did they change up the food plots this year and all gone, eaten or a less desirable planting? I wonder if it got rampaged during shotgun OR if the deer #'s are just quickly declining from year to year? Just my initial thought.

i have been out all week moring and night muzzleloading and only saw maybe 4 deer within shooting range they were small does... i have been in different spots and over 2 standing corn fields.. this is how bow season was for me... im just getting confussed and annoyed.. :confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

It sounds to me like you are probably putting to much pressure on these spots. You need to pick your battles in late season. By hunting to much you are keeping the deer nocturnal ,if they are even around at all.
The reason you see all those deer on private ground is cause they are given some peace and quiet. If the deer don't feel safe, they aren't coming out unless the weather gets brutal.
T

i have differnt spots to hunt depending on the wind and morings.. yes sligh the i ssen more deer last yr in the same spot at one tim i counted over 60 ... and the public is connected to prive that doesnt get hunted during 2nd season shotgun and the food plot is the same as last yr.. tree line then a creek that doesnt freeze over the alfa field thats never gets cut then un picked corn the cut alfa field next to the road....... theres all kinds of tracks and signs of the deer there but i dont see any deer lol well thanks guys for all the advice..

I will add, this last week has been far lower for deer sightings for me. I was out a couple weeks ago on a bean field and had 70 deer on it. Not too much pressure BUT it warms up over the last week (just a touch) and my sightings went to about 20 on the same field. Get out there when it's rediculous cold and snow. Personally, I don't have luck on AM hunts too much BUT if you get out there in PM's on super cold times (colder than NOW) I think things are going to pick up for everyone. I think we have storm and cold weather coming this weekend???

i hate the moring hunts but have to try.. i love the pm.... it snowing here right now but still in the 20s lol thanks for the advice and letting me vent lol

Top Bottom