Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In 10 years.....

J

jason

I was just thinking what blackpowder guns will be like in about 10 years. If you look at them today, it's clear we've come along ways!!!!
Today's guns can shot about 200 yards, with unbelieveable groupings. New powder, thats not even black powder any more. Smokless powder, or any other new breeds of powder that burns hotter and is much cleaner. Formed in pellets, that is premeasured. Bullets, cor lokt, sabot, copper jaketed, that mushroom perfect, and that are so deadly.
A 500 dollar gun, and a 200 dollar scope is what "black powder" is today.
What is next? What else could they possibly think of?
I think you'll see more and more people returning to the tradional style muzzleloaders, for something challenging, (not that hunting isn't challenging.) It seems black powders are turning into high power rifles.
I just wanted to know what you all think.
Good hunting

Jason V

Jason,
Given the fact that Iowa has a surplus of deer, and deer hunters are the preferred means of harvesting them by the DNR, I don't see why it matters what method of a weapon we chose to harvest them with as long as it is legal.

The alternative is overpopulation, starvation, CWD, EHD, and right now hundreds of them are being hit by automoblies every week which posse's a threat to human life, and a major exspense to the insurance industry which ultimately will affect the hunters pocket book in the form of higher insurance rates for our automobile's.

I hunted for many years with a sidelock muzzleloader, and I must say I was very good with it. I do not believe however that muzzleloader hunting would be nearly as popular today if it wasn't for the in-line rifle. And I do think we need more hunters who will vote for the continuation of sport hunting if this sport we love so much is to survive many more years.

There are still some die in the wool traditional hunters out there who are very good at deer hunting and shooting, and I say more power to them let them hunt as they please. We are all in this together.

As for me, my eye sight isn't what it used to be and I have to use a scope on my in-line because I can't see to line up the rear and front sight on my target anymore. I feel that it would be unethical for me to continue to hunt deer and take the chance of wounding them and let them die a lingering death.

I do however think that we will not see many more changes in the modern muzzleloader except for some cosmetic changes. I feel they have gone about as far as they can with them.

The last thing we need in the hunting world is a division among those of us who enjoy hunting. After all, the slug gun has come along way recently, we have compound bows, why not the in-line rifle? Do we all want to go back to shooting our smooth bore pheasant shotguns during slug season, or perhaps the long bow during bow season, or the smooth bore trade muzzleloader?

We can not allow our personal method of hunting divide us. We must stand together in this day and age of PETA, Save the Whales, Green Peace, and the Anti-Gun movement if we wish to continue to enjoy this wonderful sport of Whitetail hunting. Just my two cents worth here......

Top Bottom