Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In the mood for a black rifle need help

Central Iowa

Life Member
I want to put together a AR and I am up in the air on everything from caliber to even just buying one of the rack. I plan on mostly killing coyotes maybe pig hunting now and then with it, and I just straight up want one. It's been a few years since I got after them and want to introduce junior to calling so he will be doing the closer shooting and I will be back up and try to get the ones that hang up outside of his range. Tell me what what you recommend for a quality set up, I don't know much about them.

Last edited:
I have a dpms that is at the gun shop being torn down and fixed up with some additions. My father in law has one that is completed and I haven't shot anything quite like it before. I will put together a post once mine is complete explaining all of the upgrades and such...

I have a r15 and like it alot, but I'm in the process of building my own. which is an interesting process, but ultimately will allow me to end up with exactly what i want

I bought a DPMS 223 bull barrel off the rack. Only real upgrade a guy needs right off the bat is putting in a JP trigger. If you're in no real hurry I'm bringing mine to the deer classic for some shooting with gersdorf and you can take a look at it, maybe pop a round off or 10.

Hey muddy which trigger upgrade did you go with? That is the last upgrade I have to decide on and would like your input.
Thanks

Love my RRA .223. But for what you want a .243 might be a better caliber. I am pretty sure that Remington and DPMS make them in .243. Great guns no doubt about it.

I think that may be a good choice. Looking at the .243 wssm I think that would make a versatile round. I dont see me shooting large volume of ammo for target shooting. Anyone have this?

a 243 would be a great choice for coyote. ever think about using it for deer? may want to look into the 308 though a 243 would do the job.

doob, it's just called a JP trigger from JP enterprises

I have a Rock River Arms .223 and wouldnt trade it for anything. Ill be getting a second one in .308.

You can order what ever you want from there site, just like building one only it will be shipped all put together from the same place.

RRA Tactical Operator 2 in .223. An absolute tack driver. I went with .223 because of accessability for components. I reload everything and wanted a caliber that was easy and cheap to get. I never planned on hunting deer with it. Just varmints and zombies when they come.:grin: You are more than welcome to stop by and check her out sometime if you want to.

picture.php

Man on the initial page the thread says "In the mood for a black....."

I was wondering if I was still on IW for a second:D

You should buy one, you will be happy you did. I was in your shoes and just went and bought one off the rack but then starting adding stuff. That's what's fun about them. So just go buy one. I would get a 223 or 308, cheap ammo and you could kill pretty much anything with those, not much recoil so you can shoot all day. DPMS is pretty affordable esp for the 223 oracle. I put on a Hogue Fore end and grip and I love them, there the overmolded rubber type that is so nice. It's nice to have so many options and different colors of accessories.

This is all I have on mine Travis, well, I guess I just put a bipod on it a couple weeks ago. Pretty plain jane and it shoots great.

2012-01-01202924.jpg

What does everyone recommend for a scope?? The scope I was actually going to go with is discontinued. I am pretty open now.

picture.php

My predator hunting rig isn’t a “Black Gun” but it is a sweet shooting Remington R-15 in .223 caliber. I installed a Timney 2# trigger in it…………awesome trigger.

Oh & yes, I do have a “Black Gun” or two. :way:

zombie1_0.jpg

Top Bottom