Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In the stand?

Buckhunter

Just wondering what time most guy's go to there stand's in the morning,do you wait for a little light or try to get in early?
I took a climber into some state groung this morning and had not even gotten settled in yet when deer started showing up,the problem was it was still to dark to see,all I could do was try to stand dead still and not get picked off.I just wonder if a guy is better off to wait until it start's breaking light to head in.My hunting partner also got caught on the ground by a doe who busted him and blew out of the area scaring everything else in earshot.I love to hunt in the morning but it sure seem's like I spook alot more deer.
confused_em8.gif

I like to get to my stand early, i never actually had a deer next to me when i went to settle in, But i did have them come out 10 minutes after i was settled in. I like to be in the stand at no later that 5:30. This assures that the area has been quite some time before the deer start moving in the area. I also like to go out while it is dark, i believe that the deer cant identify you as well.

I'd rather be a hour early than a minute late if the deer cant see you but hear you they arn't alarmed that much they might run off but they dont go far they will settle down in ten or fifteen minutes and go back to there routine but if they smell you they will probaly will be gone play the wind if possable when going in

You guys must wear more layers than me. No way would I go in at 5:30 and sit in the dark cold for an hour before shooting time.

When it's cold like this weekend I go at first light and use my warm time efficiently, my toes are cold after 2.5 to 3 hours. All of that time is shooting time.

I use to get in early, never an hour early but 30 minutes or so, always had to turn on a flashlight to find my stands. A buddy said that would scare more deer than waiting 30 minutes and sneaking in during the daylight. Going in with daylight at least you can see deer ahead of you or near your stand so you can back off and let them move on before climbing in.

Who knows what's right, just sit as long as you can take the cold. I think you'll scare deer anytime on any given morning.

Can't wait for late season muzzleloader. Love burrowing into drifted fencelines and watching game.

BugleMIn,
I will getting my first opportunity to hunt with a muzzleloader during second season.
I am intrigued by your comment about burrowing in to a snow drift and watching game.
Could you please further explain your method and how that might effect getting cold. I am wanting to stay out of a tree stand as much as possible during the colder days.
Thanks
sp69

Well, yes... it is nice to dress warm. I use 1200 gram boots, I cant imagine going in at light though. but fortunately i do not have to use a light to get to my stand.

Top Bottom