Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In your opinion????

Bukslayr

When should a guy break out the deer decoy????

First full year with a decoy and I am debating on when to start using it.

ill probably break mine out this weekend i know its early but i didnt see any bucks together this weekend so thats tellin me that they are starting to find their rut holes and the scrapes have exploded this last weekend so im thinkn that a mature buck would probably come to a decoy to check out what deer it is. i wouldnt do any agressive callin yet but some grunts and maybe tickling rattling antlers might pay dividends on a cold morning starting this week. soft gunts will work well as i called in three 3 to 3 1/2 year olds this past weekend. their close.

I would wait a week at least, if you put it out now you will just have a bunch of young bucks messing with it. I rattled Friday night and had 4 small bucks come from every direction. They stuck around grunting and 2 of them had a pretty good fight right in front of me. My cards have been full of young bucks sparring.

To tell you the truth I've had great luck with a decoy all times of the year! As a matter of fact I took a nice mature 150 class 4x4 this fall on sept 13th! He came from over 300 yards away and came nose to nose with my decoy with his ears pinned back in the middle of sept!

The last time I hunted Iowa the decoy worked really well around the end of oct on mature deer both morning and evening along with calls.
I can't wait to set it up again down there this fall!

Top Bottom