Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Increase in NR and NR-Landowner Tags!?? For the "average" guy

m_kat

There will be another push this legislative session!

To the blue collar hunters that hunt public hunting areas?.... Resident and Non-Resident!

6,000 more NR hunters, equals on average about 60 additional hunters in the public grounds in the county you hunt. How will that affect the quality? (Although they will NOT be evenly distributed!)

Add an unlimited number of non-resident landowner tags. What effect will that have, Now and in years to come?

There will be a very large number of displaced hunters. Where will they turn? Iowa’s public hunting areas are already over hunted and are a pathetically small percentage of the state.

To the non-residents: Do you think Iowa’s tags are expensive now? How about trespass fees, guide fees, and outfitter fees. (If you own a bunch of land already in Iowa don’t respond.)

To the residents: Do you think it is tough to get access on private land now? (See above). How is the pressure on the public ground you currently hunt? Add 60+.

A drastic change to the current system will create drastic change to the quality of hunting for the average blue collar hunter in this state, resident and non-resident alike. These large sweeping changes will be the ruination of hunting for those not willing or able to shell out large sums of money to hunt.

Now is the time to call or write your elected representatives.

The new director of the DNR needs to understand who he is working for!

There will be another push this legislative session!

To the blue collar hunters that hunt public hunting areas?.... Resident and Non-Resident!

6,000 more NR hunters, equals on average about 60 additional hunters in the public grounds in the county you hunt. How will that affect the quality? (Although they will NOT be evenly distributed!)

Add an unlimited number of non-resident landowner tags. What effect will that have, Now and in years to come?

There will be a very large number of displaced hunters. Where will they turn? Iowa’s public hunting areas are already over hunted and are a pathetically small percentage of the state.

To the non-residents: Do you think Iowa’s tags are expensive now? How about trespass fees, guide fees, and outfitter fees. (If you own a bunch of land already in Iowa don’t respond.)

To the residents: Do you think it is tough to get access on private land now? (See above). How is the pressure on the public ground you currently hunt? Add 60+.

A drastic change to the current system will create drastic change to the quality of hunting for the average blue collar hunter in this state, resident and non-resident alike. These large sweeping changes will be the ruination of hunting for those not willing or able to shell out large sums of money to hunt.

Now is the time to call or write your elected representatives.

The new director of the DNR needs to understand who he is working for!

mkat...you're concerned over 6000 tags???DNR increased res tags by over 140,000 the past several years. I guess all those boys just bought the tags to suport the system and didn't really have a place to hunt right?

Unfortunately its about the allmighty dollar. The only thing that the State is looking at is how to increase revenue. They don't care about the quality of the deer or how it effects the working class hunter.

This is partially due to the comercialization of hunting. Turn on any outdoor channel and there is a hunt taped in Iowa showing a massive buck walking up to a hunter and falling over. Little do the viewers know its either a high fence area or on a massive private section of land where there is no pressure.

Enjoy it while it lasts. It won't be long when hunting will be a thing of the past.

People that own land now should be worried. When a outfitter leases the 40 acres of crop ground next to yours. He will have the farmer leave a few acres of crop and over the course of the 3 gun seasons kill most of the 120"+ deer in the area year after year. With the hunters using your timber as a bullet stop.

mkat...you're concerned over 6000 tags???DNR increased res tags by over 140,000 the past several years. I guess all those boys just bought the tags to suport the system and didn't really have a place to hunt right?

The increase in tags were extra doe tags not #'s of hunters.:confused: Like I said in another post. Anyone interested in more NR tags has an agenda other than keeping the quality of hunting in Iowa. You own land in Iowa and can't get a tag every year. There's your agenda. :drink1:

If they do give out 6,000 more NR tags, I can see some high rollers heading there every year and either hunting with an outfitter, or buying land outright. Does not look good for you IA residents at this point, but hopefully it turns out better than it looks.

I turned down a tag last year (sitting on 3 pp's) to put that 560 bucks into my MO farm instead....it was the wise choice ;)

Funny, you didn’t even try to comprehend or understand the point, and if you can’t see it you do truly have the “what’s best for me is the only thing that matters blinders” on.

Actually what scares me the most is the UNLIMITED amount of NEW licensed NR land owners. If those with the deep pockets have their way and can get legislation passed, UNLIMITED NR land owner tags will be the factor that buries hunting in this state for the majority.

MKat---I agree. I hunt public only and it has gotten progressively worse the last 5 years. Now, I understand public is for all people which is a good thing. But seems to be a hunter behind every tree now. Let alone if they add 6,000 more. Maybe the state should just raise our tag fees a little to bring in more revenue. I bowhunt only but would be willing to pay a more. Just a thought!

NR/R argument

If they do give out 6,000 more NR tags, I can see some high rollers heading there every year and either hunting with an outfitter, or buying land outright. Does not look good for you IA residents at this point, but hopefully it turns out better than it looks.

I turned down a tag last year (sitting on 3 pp's) to put that 560 bucks into my MO farm instead....it was the wise choice ;)

Letemgrow: There are so many high rollers and average joe's buying farms in Iowa, not sure that is will be a major change. What is happening right now, is many NR will buy in Iowa, then move to Iowa for the mutiple tags. Example: Lakosky, Drury, Lindsey...they probably would not move to Iowa or claim residency if they could draw a tag every year...so in a sense they expanded their farms more as a result of moving to Iowa as resident to shoot multiple bucks.

Letemgrow: There are so many high rollers and average joe's buying farms in Iowa, not sure that is will be a major change. What is happening right now, is many NR will buy in Iowa, then move to Iowa for the mutiple tags. Example: Lakosky, Drury, Lindsey...they probably would not move to Iowa or claim residency if they could draw a tag every year...so in a sense they expanded their farms more as a result of moving to Iowa as resident to shoot multiple bucks.

Its possible there would not be any change, I would really considner selling my MO farm if they make it legit to live out of state, own a farm, and get a tag every year.....just sayin. :D

I almost pulled the trigger a few years ago on claiming residency in IA (would have lived there every other week when not on my work shift), but it was not right so I elected to pass....if I would have shot a giant it would not have been right.

Last edited:
Its possible there would not be any change, I would really considner selling my MO farm if they make it legit to live out of state, own a farm, and get a tag every year.....just sayin. :D

I almost pulled the trigger a few years ago on claiming residency in IA (would have lived there every other week when not on my work shift), but it was not right so I neglected to pass....if I would have shot a giant it would not have been right.

You are as honest as they come! It would be tempting, knowing you live close to Iowa.

Missouri is a good state as well, I would love to have a farm in Missouri, and prices are cheap (despite easy over the counter tags).

You are as honest as they come! It would be tempting, knowing you live close to Iowa.

Missouri is a good state as well, I would love to have a farm in Missouri, and prices are cheap (despite easy over the counter tags).

I meant to say elected not neglected :D

IMO, its a GREAT all around whitetail state when you consider tag prices, deer population, land taxes and hunting opportunities. We give a little ground on mature bucks to IA for sure, but top end is no different.

One thing is certain, there is VERY little fuss on MO Whitetails about increasing tag prices, nr's etc....I sure love the 1/8% sales tax or whatever it is the MDC gets out of the state tax so they are not funded by tag prices alone. :way:

Is there a bill out on this right now?

Where did we come up with the 6000 more NR?

Is there a bill out on this right now?

Where did we come up with the 6000 more NR?

No bills yet. 6,000 was the number from last year along with the NR landowner tags. Right now certain people/organizations are laying down the ground work to get these same bills back on the floor for a vote.

It goes without saying its all about the almighty dollar but I think Bill Hartzell is on the right track in his post. We may have to pay a higher amount on our tags to get the bureaucrats to come of the 6000 NR number.

I`d be interested in everyone`s opinions on paying a higher price for our tags in return for a lower amount of NR tags added.

I`ve got a friend of mine that is pretty close to the governor....I don`t think there is any way to get them to not increase the number of NR tags issued but we may be able to get them to compromise and come off the 6000 number significantly.

Again, I`m very interested in getting your input!

If, and that's a big IF, you could get them to lower the amount of NR tags in return for us paying higher res. fees they would just be back in another year trying for more NR tags. I would not have a problem with an increase in tag fees if I thought at some point I would see something for it. This is all about increasing funds for the DNR and they are all short term solutions. Eventually, hunter numbers will fall as access is lost and they'll be looking for revenue some where else.

The 6,000 nr tags isn't a new idea, DNR has proposed that number for several years. After a couple years Dir. Leopold decided it wasn't worth getting beat up over every year. Now we have a new Gov, DNR Dir. and many new faces in the legislature so we have to start the process all over again. There isn't any legislation yet, it will be a part of a large DNR bill that will be filed later.

Please get to know your legislators, especially if you have a new one. In the legislative forum is the list of House & Senate Natural Resource Committee members, get to know them. Legislation is much easier to stop in committee rather than fight on H or S floor.

Top Bottom