Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Info in Veterinary Journal

Shredder

Life Member
911-1255715272.jpg

so the potential take away is:
1. If pregnant dont eat venison
2. if not you should be fine?

I think the important take home message is cook all venison thoroughly (well done/ maybe medium well) just like you would with pork to avoid Trichinosis. Similarly, just like pregnant/nursing women shouldn't change cat litter because of the Toxoplasma risk, I wouldn't recommend pregnant women helping field dress or process a harvested deer. At least that's my interpretation of the article.

"I think the important take home message is cook all venison thoroughly (well done/ maybe medium well.."

Yuck, might as well eat a shoe if thats the case. I'm not to concerned for myself, but good info to consider for other populations I guess.

[Yuck, might as well eat a shoe if thats the case.]

I don't disagree with you at all, DOR. I tend to cook my venison (elk and deer) on the medium/medium well side (probably thorough enough). Just trying to clarify what science has shown. However, from a somewhat personal experience, my wife's cousin ate undercooked pork in Mexico and got Trich. She's spent the last several years (decade +?) with an un-removable roundworm in her brain from that experience. She's got all kinds of medical issues and there is no cure, from what I understand. Thus, my wife is extrememly paranoid about cooking meat known to contain cysts.

wasnt arguing and agree with you, just stating my consumption preferences.:grin:

I will continue to eat my venison on the medium rare side. I've done it my whole life. Oh well! Good info about affecting pregnant women though, I'm sure many families could benefit from this information.

Top Bottom