Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Injured Great Horned Owl

mphenk5

a couple survey techs stopped by the golf course (part of a forest preserve district) today telling us they found an injured owl while working a couple miles down the road. The District's Restoration Superintendent and I followed the guys to where they last seen him and he was still there. A lady who lived nearby said he had been sitting in her yard the last couple days. It appears that one of his legs maybe broken, but then again, I am no owl expert. He was pretty weak and made no effort to get away from us. We are in the process of contacting a rehabilitation center to see if they can take him.

Hate to see such an amazing bird in this condition, so hopefully he can get some help.

4016matth_067-med.jpg

They are beautiful birds. We re-habed one that had been caught in a leg-hold trap when I was a kid. A leg splint and a couple weeks in the shed on a perch with plenty of raw burger and an occasional mouse, did the trick. We took off the splint, opened the door and he flew away! Don't forget the leather gloves though, they can hurt you without meaning to.

Horned owls are my favorite birds, so it's always tough to see one that is hurt. They can make amazing comebacks if given the chance to heal, so I hope you are able to find that one some good care.

What a great photo, too!

Definatley bad for the bird but that would be great to see one up close and personal like that. I hopeeverything works out.

I found one last summer that looked as though he'd clipped a highwire ... I notified the DNR and they took it from there.
-Longspurs-

Very awesome birds. Hope it gets well. You should see what one of those owls can do to a domesticated turkey.

I once watched a baby barn owl in my swamp, i also thought it was injured but it flew away!! get your mouse trap loaded!!

I think Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids has an aviator rehab dept. I dont have a phone number but if you can get ahold of somebody there they could probably find somebody in your area. I think Steve Atherton used to be the guy to get ahold of years ago, dont know if he still is?

Top Bottom