Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Input wanted

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Alright guys I need some input. Sunday night I was in stand watching a doe feed towards me when I caught movement. It ended up being a 130 inch ten point at 30 yards and closing. Right behind him was a mature 10 point that was on the hit list and we have history with. They were coming from an area where I wasn't expecting and definitely not expecting two deer be casually feeding as this is a rut travel stand. So I couldn't get drawn early because I always had a set of eyes in my direction. Anyway the smaller 10 point got downwind and knew something wasn't right and was staring my way. The mature deer was completely broadside at 10 yards and looked away so I drew. I had to lean out to clear a branch and I pretty much screwed up what should have been a chip shot. Now this is where it gets weird. He was so close that I couldn't see my arrow hit him but I swear I saw it slip right in the boiler room and he sounded like a squealing pig when he got hit. He hauled tail out of there and I could tell he was hurting. I tried to find my arrow with the binos and couldn't and didn't see any blood from the tree. Long story short the first blood was bright red lung blood, then we found some gut particles. Found the arrow 50 yards into the track job and it doesn't smell like guts and is covered in bright red blood with a complete pass through. But the blood isn't good at all. I've found blood that he's coughed up and when I do find blood it is foamy but his trail will go from a good amount of blood to nothing. Then I'll find it again 30 yards down the trail and it will be 1 drop. I spent pretty much all day today tracking and last blood is 500 yards from the shot. Zero beds and I'm out of blood now. He's heading to the river and the thickest part of the farm. Heading out tomorrow after work to look some more and will continue to look all week and the weekend until I find him. I'm almost positive he is dead but this whole encounter has me stumped. I've been in on my fair share of track jobs from gut shots, to liver or one lung. But this deer was completely broadside and I'm getting gut particles and lung blood and he's barely bled at all.
Thoughts? Experiences?

Can't imagine a complete pass through doesn't kill him! Keep after him!!! Can't wait to see the recovery!!!!!

My guess is he was slightly quarterd toward you and you clipped the near side lung high on the body.
The exit it more than likely low and back and you cought liver and into the guts.
The entrance wound is high on the body so it isn't bleeding much and the exit has clogged with guts leading to lack of blood on the ground.
If hes heading into thick stuff and towards water he is going to his death bed.
A big mature buck pumped full of testosterone carrying a will to live can make it a long way on one lung. He is dead by now but is probably in some thick nasty stuff where he may be hard to find. Keep looking, he will turn up.
This time of the season can be rough with a less than perfect shot. If he were to come across another buck along the way, big or small he may be pushed further away by another buck.
You will find him. Keep us updated

Exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. Someone found the deer dead about a mile from last blood and he was in the river

I'm guessing he was quartering to you a little more than you thought and you clipped one lung and got gut. If you gave him time before tracking the fact that you found no beds confuses me. Sounds like a dead deer. I would start walking the river banks. Good luck.

I got down 2 hours after the shot to look for my arrow. After not finding much blood at impact we gave him 9 hours and came back at 10 pm to get a general direction of travel because rain was in the forecast for Monday morning. We maybe tracked him 100 yards in the dark Sunday just to get an idea where he was heading and then backed out until Monday morning. I shot him around 2pm Sunday afternoon.

Everything that Rich said. Be sure to take your time and look thoroughly in the thick stuff. Good luck to you.

With all this frost and dew it's going to make for a hard day tracking.

Top Bottom