Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Intro / My first cocklebur plot

dkelley

I just recently found this site and thanks for all the great info that folks have put up here. Like I really needed something else to occupy more of my time /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif, but realize I have to spend some time catching up.

I have had several firsts this year that have me a little excited for Oct 1 to roll around. Bought 40 acres in SE Iowa, planted my first food plot, bought my first bow.

My first food plot was a little weedier than I would have liked. I sprayed it with RU, waited 2 weeks, disked it and planted a mix of soybeans and sorghum, with one small section of the plot in the PF BLizzard Buster mix. It is about a 3acre plot and I put down 50# 46-0-0 urea and 50# 13-13-13 per acre. I think I needed to go heavier on the Nitrogen as it never got that deep green color I would have liked. However, it was pretty wet.

The blizzard buster section is doing pretty good. The rest is dominated by foxtail and cocklebur. I can live with the foxtail at this point, but the cocklebur is really bugging me. The big group of cockleburs are located next to another 1 acre section that I have disked up and ready to plant a rye/wheat/oats mix. At this point in the game would you, leave the sorghum/bean/cockebur section alone, roundup the cocklebur just to get rid of them, or roundup/disk and extend the rye/wheat/oats section into where the sorghum/bean cocklebur section is, or other ideas.

Thanks

Welcome to IW! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dang weeds anyway...always a pain to deal with so don't feel all alone... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If it were me I would just till the whole mess under and plant rye and oats ASAP.

I wouldn't want all that stuff going to seed and the sorghum may have a very limited draw anyway.

You'll have a clean slate and excellent fall attraction and no weeds! No spraying needed now...just disc the daylights out of it and plant.

If any weeds come up frosts will knock them back anyway at this point.

Then you have all winter to look over ideas for next year. Perhaps RR soybeans so you can control the weeds but in any event feel free to ask us and share your thoughts and ideas with us.

Reading thru the food plot links should give you some hints and ideas as well. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thistles and cockleburs, public enemies number 1&2.

The neighbor had a bad cocklebur problem a few years ago. Then he started using RR beans and corn. Its been in alfalfa for three years now and no sign of them. Keep after 'em you'll eventaully get 'em.

The 'Bonker

One will never win the war of weeds when you have this: /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
weedseed.JPG

Wind, critters and floods will always bring in fresh seed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
With tilling and herbicide, you can manage the weeds somewhat.

If I was you I'd till it down and replant.

I think Im with everyone else. I would till it all under just to get rid of it, and put down some rye/oats. Next year I'd RUP the crap out of everything and start all over.

Dean

Top Bottom