Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bear

jjohnson

This big fellas been making his way around Allamakee county the past few days. Yesterday morning he spent an hour messing around with a guys bird feeders just a half mile out of town. Hopefully he lays low and don't get into to much trouble.

bear2.jpg

bear.jpg

if he's coming that close to somones house its just a matter of time before someone shoots him. Sucks but i bet thats what happens.

That is sweet! Unfortunately I agree with the others, if he remains so visible he will probably get popped. Thats too bad. I think it would be cool to have a sustainable population of black bear in IA.

Oh yeah, didn't some guy shoot one a year or two ago in northern iowa?!?!?! Said some garbage like it was charging him, I remember thinking he was full of poop on that claim. Vague memory there?!?!

Said some garbage like it was charging him, I remember thinking he was full of poop on that claim.

It'd indeed be against percentages to have a bear charge on the only encounter ever with one, especially a black bear. If the next one I see decides to charge the % of on foot encounters resulting in a charge will be about 2%.

Sadly, that bear is going to end up dead, I'd bet on it.

Justin,
Please keep him near you.

What side of town was he located at?

Sad to say someone will probably shoot him if he gets that
close to a house. When it comes to kids and an wild animal
we already know which it will be. Hope he keeps on truckin.

When it comes to kids and an wild animal
we already know which it will be. Hope he keeps on truckin

True,...I've made that choice once, had to. Too bad there isn't more unihabited space for him there, they're a cool creature.

Wish he knew where he was, he'd probably get out of here. You know someone's wife is gonna freak when they see him and that'll be it.

Rumors from a few credible sources that there have been multiple bear sightings in Clayton county as well. Nothing new ...really.They are out there.

No, only Mountain lions are. Bear and elk are protected.

Matthew 6:25-26

hoofline.gif

ELITE ARCHERY: GTO, GT500, E-FORCE

01_ELITE_ARCHERY_6.gif
398ibalogo_1_-1.gif
lonewolf.jpg
predator_hat_mesh_fg_big.jpg
asat.jpg
badlands70.jpg
sitka_logo.jpg

Wrong, Mountain Lions and Bear are both legal to shoot in Iowa. The are considered predators just like Coyotes.

This was printed last year in several newspapers.

DES MOINES -- A second black bear has been shot in Iowa this year, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources announced Wednesday.

The latest was shot by DNR conservation officer Marlowe Wilson last Thursday in Fremont County.

The bear, which weighed more than 200 pounds, had raided garbage cans and acted aggressively after attempts to scare it away near its home by Waubonsie State Park, according to the DNR.

"This is not a decision I made hastily, and I really didn't want to shoot him," Wilson said in a statement released by the department.

Missouri officials had been monitoring a bear in the northwest corner of the state which is believed to be the one shot in Fremont County.

Another black bear was shot three days earlier, on June 23 near Sheffield in Franklin County. Iowans are allowed to shoot the black bears, which are not a protected species in Iowa.

Five bear sightings have been confirmed in Iowa this year, with the others occurring in Winneshiek, Johnson and Davis counties.

Before that, the last confirmed sighting was in 2005 in Allamakee County.

The animals were once native to Iowa, but have not populated the state since the 1800s.

DNR officials discourage Iowans from intentionally killing bears if they are not a problem. They advise people to contact the DNR if a bear flees when it is approached.

Kevin Baskins, a spokesman for the DNR, said they are looking into the possibility of tranquilizing bears that are dangerous and relocating them instead of shooting them.

In the past few days I've heard he's been in Winneshiek, Fayette, and Clayton counties. I can hardly believe its the same bear but who knows. I have a feeling he's gonna be at the taxidermist if he keeps showing himself.

Top Bottom