Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunter Survey

dtk913

I have a couple of questions for the Iowa bowhunters on here. They have to do with the Iowa Bowhunters Survey the DNR puts out.

1. Do you participate?

2. Do you get the form and not fill any thing out?

3. Do you send the form back every year or do you sometimes not get it in?

4. Do you think an online version of this survey would be better than the paper version? A version where you could log in with your IDNR number and fill in a form similar to the paper version used now.

I am really curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks
Dan

Yes, I participate in the survey and turn it in on time. It is fun to go back at the end of the season and look over all the sightings recorded. The paper version works fine for me.

this was the first year I ever received it, filled out and back on time for me- trying to communicate how few deer I saw, wish I had been asked the last few years, big drop off from last hunting season to this one.

I should have participated the year I was sent the invitation, because I haven't gotten a card in the mail since. This survey would be a great application for a smart-phone app. When you see a deer, coyote, etc., hit the appropriate button and the DNR gets live date/time/count data. You could even share the exact location.

the Iowa Bowhunters Survey the DNR puts out.

1. Do you participate?
I did for the first time last fall.

2. Do you get the form and not fill any thing out?
Probably be the last time you get the form if you don't comply.

3. Do you send the form back every year or do you sometimes not get it in?
With this past year being my first year, I can only say I'm 100% compliant.

4. Do you think an online version of this survey would be better than the paper version? A version where you could log in with your IDNR number and fill in a form similar to the paper version used now.
Unsure about this, sounds like that might be a way to boost participation which might improve statistical accuracy. Having to enter your IDNR number should help keep it honest.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Yep! Do it Send it back and all! Do they send the same kinda thing to NR????? Did you enjoy your time in Iowa? Did you like paying $500.00 for a doe! :D Did you support the IBA even though you had enuff money to come here and hunt Iowa land!! :D

It would be an excellet idea. Give the hunter the choice of the snailmail card that they may or may not remmber to fill out everyday or go to the net and fill it out before they log on here.

Ties in pretty well with Step Ahead Outdoors.:way:

Get one every year and always send it in...it's actually kind of a neat way to track your season. An online version seems to be an excellent idea though.

NWBuck

I think a nice feature with an online version would be so you can see multiple years of your own data all together on charts perhaps..that would be interesting to see that every year the numbers keep going down

It would be an excellet idea. Give the hunter the choice of the snailmail card that they may or may not remmber to fill out everyday or go to the net and fill it out before they log on here.

Ties in pretty well with Step Ahead Outdoors.:way:

I think a choice would be good, but a fast as things are moving to online versions within 5 years or sooner it will be the best way to gather data like this.

I also think it ties in pretty well with Step Ahead Outdoor Solutions.;)

Thanks

Dan

I've received one every year for as long as i can remember. I usually return it, but i do know there were several years i didn't complete the form.

I think a nice feature with an online version would be so you can see multiple years of your own data all together on charts perhaps..that would be interesting to see that every year the numbers keep going down

Playing devils advocate here...What's stopping you from doing this for yourself? Why make the DNR do it for you?

I have participated in the survey for three years now. I have been good about filling out the form, but this year was the first time I've got it sent in on time.

Unless it makes more financial sense (the diff between paying for postage and paying for IT to support an online system) I'm struggling to see the need for a change.

To improve the current system i think they should give the surveys out before bow season opens and ask for them back by the close of season...aka January 10th of the following year...because currently it's a bit biased due to the rut, IMO.

Unless it makes more financial sense (the diff between paying for postage and paying for IT to support an online system) I'm struggling to see the need for a change.

I think the information collected by hunters is always a good thing, but I also think with the way technology is moving forward all the time (whether people like it or not), an online survey would be much more efficient. The other thing to think about is if we want the next generation of bowhunters to be invovled in management some things need to be done on their level. How many kids ever see a scanable sheet like is used now. They don't use them very often anymore, and it is getting less and less all the time.

By the way, I am completely biased on this subject, but I am really interested about the views of other hunters.

Thanks

Dan

Top Bottom