Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunters!!

Iowa Bowhunters

Is the Iowa Bowhunter organization responsible for setting the gun season in December. If so, then they are responsible for the excellent deer hunting. I think that is by far the most important reason as to why the bucks in Iowa get so big. Sure they have genetics and much of Iowa is perfect habitat for whitetails, but so is Minnesota and Missouri. MN & MO cannot compete with the bucks from Iowa, because of the delayed gun season (simple fact).

Personally, I feel the non-resident bow tag is too high. I don't think they should be over-the counter etc...but come on $600+...There has got to be a happy medium, and maybe this Iowa Bowhunter organization should look at solutions to this problem, as the issue will not go away.

Personally, I feel the non-resident bow tag is too high. I don't think they should be over-the counter etc...but come on $600+...There has got to be a happy medium, and maybe this Iowa Bowhunter organization should look at solutions to this problem, as the issue will not go away.[/QUOTE]

Plain and simple, 600 is not to high or people wouldnt continue to pay it! That is pretty cheap if you ask me to have the chance at 150+ deer. Alot of people pay 3 to 5 thousand to hunt high fence or go with an outfitter so whats the big deal? The nice thing about Iowa is if you do draw a tag their are plenty of land owners who will let you hunt so you dont have to pay for an outfitter like Illinois, Kentucky, and some of the western states. I just think that if you compare the prices with all of the other big game hunts in the United States, Iowa tags are pretty damn cheap!

Is the Iowa Bowhunter organization responsible for setting the gun season in December. If so, then they are responsible for the excellent deer hunting. I think that is by far the most important reason as to why the bucks in Iowa get so big. Sure they have genetics and much of Iowa is perfect habitat for whitetails, but so is Minnesota and Missouri. MN & MO cannot compete with the bucks from Iowa, because of the delayed gun season (simple fact).

Personally, I feel the non-resident bow tag is too high. I don't think they should be over-the counter etc...but come on $600+...There has got to be a happy medium, and maybe this Iowa Bowhunter organization should look at solutions to this problem, as the issue will not go away.

You can thank farmers for the Dec gun season. In the early years of deer hunting in Iowa the farmer didn't get his crop out early like today. So the season was set in Dec. so they could hunt.

Can't argue about the NR tag price. Several conservation groups(IBA included) in Iowa last year surveyed their membership. 85% of people surveyed said yes to a moderate fee increase across the board for res and nr. Our Gov. didn't think it was a wise idea for a TAX increase. Sorry Gov, but that isn't a tax. THE DNR needed funds so the legislators put all on the backs of the NR.

Get ready resident hunters....Soon, with the prices going out the roof, the supply will outweigh the demand...

Then the DNR will need more money and guess where they will get it...

Let's see the price of resident deer licenses go to around $100 or $150 and see how the residents like it then....

I think everybody will have a different tone.....

You'll always have the rich non residents willing to pay a steep amount to get a tag...What would you rather have, a rich snotty nosed "I'm better than You" guy or some average guy that worked his tail off all year long just to get a chance to go for a week to hunt Iowa...

Think about it...

Supply and demand

Dedgeez: The problem with the supply and demand theory. First, what if every state did that for hunting and fishing licenses. The prices would keep going up and the revenue the states collect would still be higher even if the demand for licenses would fall. Example: Minnesota currently charges 39.50 for a fishing license. All season long, the same limits as residents. $50 for an entire family.

They could increase the price to $100 and some non-residents would have to pay it (if they own a cabin in Mn, what are they going to do, not fish when they are at the cabin). Do the math, at $100, even if they sold 1/2 of the licenses, they would still have more money.

I could argue that $100 is cheap for a chance at a 12 lb. walleye. After all, people pay guides $200 just for a chance at a nice walleye. The lake in which I live by, has many non-resident cabin owners (Iowa, SD, Indiana). Would that be fair to them? Do you think the resort owners, hotel owners and tourist based businesses my fight the license increase?

Second, when other states such as Illinois and Wisconsin currently allow over the counter tags. They have excellent hunting. Should they follow Iowa's lead (limit tags and raise prices) or should they just charge Iowa residents the same high fee if they want to hunt in Wisconsin or Illinois.

There is a lot more at issue here, than just supply and demand. This is a hot topic nationally, and if other states follow Iowa's lead, then we (the hunter and fisherman) will be paying more to hunt and fish in other states. If you do not want to leave Iowa, that is fine, but most serious outdoorsman like to take a trip or two out of state or out of the country.

Some serious outdoorsman can't afford to go out of state, let alone pay $2500/ acre to own land in the state they reside. To me, it makes more sense for non-residents to pay the higher price to keep resident prices low so the residents of the state can afford to hunt, be it Iowa or wherever. Its more than just supply and demand, in the end, the mighty dollar wins. If the non-res pays $600, $700, whatever to come hunt here for 7-14 days, do you blame them for the high price. Blame them who pay it.

Boy. Asking Nonresidents for money while you are fighting for them to not to be able to hunt your state.

tmhrmh made alot of good points.

I'm not trying to put a damper on things, I'm just stating a fact that resident hunters and Iowa hunting organizations are not looking out for non-residents...This is why I can find property fairly easy...

So y'all just keep doing what you're doing and I'll get to come up every other year and get to hunt on property that all I have to do is ask permission to hunt on....

Lets see if I understand this, your getting everything you could want, and its the IBA's "fault", so you choose not to support them????

If NR tags become unlimited and the outfitters take over, do you suppose the outfitter will put you in a tree for $20 a year?

Am I the only one who see's this post as extremely ironic????

Last edited:
How does supporting the Iowa Bowhunter's Ass. turn into a bitch fest for non-residents? I say if you don't live in Iowa, and don't want to hunt in Iowa; go some where else! If you don't like how much it cost to hunt in Iowa; don't pay it. I'm pretty sure anybody from out of state who is not happy with the current hunting regulations in Iowa; isn't going to support the IBA.

Second, when other states such as Illinois and Wisconsin currently allow over the counter tags. They have excellent hunting. Should they follow Iowa's lead (limit tags and raise prices) or should they just charge Iowa residents the same high fee if they want to hunt in Wisconsin or Illinois.

Ask the average guy in southern Ill. how the hunting is since they went over the counter on tags.

Why is Kan. considering putting restrictions on the NR tags?

Why should hunters of Iowa apologize for having a strong bowhunters assoc?

There aren't many states in this country that couldn't or wouldn't have much better deer hunting if their hunters and DNR took a stronger stance on a lot of issues. Kentucky decided to go with a restriction on inside spread and is now really reaping the benefits. Mo. went with a antler point restriction. Even Pa. is starting to see the benefit of restrictions. There is no one way or correct way to improve your state but it can be done. Iowa has decided to keep gun season out of rut, limit the nr's. Is it the right way? I don't know but it seems to be working.

I'm not anti NR, have friends that come back from NY and Wis. every chance they get. They understand the restrictions and accept them. They used to hunt Il. also but lost all their places to hunt and can't afford a $2500 hunt.

Support the IBA or not that is your choice. If not, maybe you need to take some time and support your own states hunting groups. Over the years I've heard from a large group of NR's and hunters from other states who don't want to hunt Iowa, that say keep things as you have them and not to cave in.

Last edited:
I tried to support the IBA at one point in time. I gave them my credit card info etc and signed up for a membership and never received confirmation of anything and all I received was a the deduction from my checking account from them. I am sure it is was a fluke, but I haven't signed up since because I was screwed once. :)

I tried to support the IBA at one point in time. I gave them my credit card info etc and signed up for a membership and never received confirmation of anything and all I received was a the deduction from my checking account from them. I am sure it is was a fluke, but I haven't signed up since because I was screwed once. :)

I had the same thing happen to me. My first year was fine. After that all I got was money withdrawn and nothing to confirm my membership. I had no idea when it began much less when it expired.:confused: If I remember correctly, I renewed through the IW.com store???

Anyway, no hard feelings on my part. I just had no idea if I was in or out so I never pursued a membership again. Sorry, I tried...:(

I was also a member. After 2 or 3 months of not hearing anything I finally got ahold of someone and they started sending me a little paper magazine thing every once in a while.

Top Bottom