Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa chufa

I have always wondered do the turkeys like this stuff? Have you seen them in it? I have really good success planting biologic, the turkeys came to it almost daily! But I planted it for deer!

Pharmer - I have always been curious about chufa, having read about it some magazines. Could you share some more detail in terms of where you got the seed, how much, planting preparations, etc?

Would chufa grow in a shady situation, like say an old logging road in the timber?

I understand that turkeys like it, but do deer and other game favor it?
shrug[1].gif

For those of you that have experience with these food plots wether it be Chufa, Biologic etc...how does it compare to a good old fashion stand of corn or beans? Seems like if you leave a field (corn or beans) standing through the winter every animal in the county is in it.
Just curious.

Pupster

We bought through cooperseeds.com and this is my first year for it. It is supposed to be full sunlight plant but I just don't have the experience to say. Friends around Solon have planted the last few years & both turkeys & deer use it when they weren't flooded out. I have it planted along the corn plot & on the side of the rye. I expect that all food sources will be used through winter- I have been told to run a disk over a strip in the fall and uncover some of the tubers to "prime" the turkeys to look for it. This stand was planted in southern Van Buren county. I also have beans, rye, & corn plots.

Opposite end of this chufa strip- they are dusting there and starting to scratch it up a little. Still pretty small tubers but they seemed to have figured it out.

Attachments

• 29822-726p7.jpg
    29822-726p7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom