Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Deer Classics booth

nannyslayer

I am tossing around getting a booth at the Iowa deer classic (that is if there are any left). The booth will from the company I work for. The reason for the booth is to sell seed, mostly food plot seed. We have RR corn, RR soybean, alfalfa, clover, and switchgrass. Just asking you guys how do you think this would go over. The seed would be discounted, and I mean VERY, VERY, discounted. I'm talking about a bag of RR corn will cost around 75 dollars. So what do you think, good idea or bad idea?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have RR corn, RR soybean, alfalfa, clover, and switchgrass. Just asking you guys how do you think this would go over </div></div>

No turnips? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I know that people are reluctant to carry around heavy items or have to deal with them but on the other hand it would be a great oppurtunity for people to get some great prices on seed! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Can I get a rain check? I want about 10 acres worth, then all I need is someone to plant it for me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

To bad for me, the Gov't is sending me to California for 3 weeks, which will be during the time of the classic. Dang the luck

I dunno, I don't need a whole bag, maybe just a few pounds. You gonna have a scale and small bags or would a guy have to buy a whole bag?

Like Dbltree said, who wants to drag a bag through the classic?

The 'Bonker

It must not be too bad of an idea since your competition is there most years and must have some business if they keep coming back. What are your plans? Seed to sell and package there? Orders taken and seed shipped later? Catalogs handed out?

I am not sure you could get a booth this late in the game at the classic. I was pretty sure there is a waiting list to even get in.

I could be wrong though.

Like I said, just tossing around the idea, may not be possible. But for plot seed, I have the lowest priced RR corn you can get.

have you found anything out on booth availability? if you can't get a booth, let me know. i may have an option for you

I know I'd make some purchases from ya Nanny.......To be honest I don't think I remember anyone selling any corn or bean seed, might go over ok, especially if you can throw out some good prices.

I am going to discuss it with the General Manager on Monday. If all goes like planned, I will have RR corn in 15,25,and 50lb bags, at prices that cannot be beat. Beans will be in 50 lb bag only.

Once we have figured out whether we are going to do it or not, I am going to get ahold of you Teeroy, regaurdless if there is a booth open or not.

What did you find out?

I might be interested in making a purchase or two. I'll have to worry about bugging the neighbor later, with the planting.

I'd get some stuff from you Nanny! I'll just bring a cart to push around /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've been selling seed at the classic for the last 3 yrs now along with about every competitor I know and I can tell you seed does not sale well there. The small 1/4 acre bags tend to do alright, but as everyone else has said, noone wants to carry around even the 8lb bags I have.

With that being said, it may still be worth it to you. You may walk away from the classic selling below expectations, but the two weeks that follows is when you need to follow up with all the people you spoke with. Make sure you give out ample business cards with your information on it, to include pricing. It's the time you put in to it after the classic with the information you received that makes it worth it.

Make sure you guys come by and say hi. I'll have a 20ft spot by th DNR and a 10ft spot in the Scheels location this year. We will have the new plotmasters and I picked up a line of row planters for small tractors (2 and 3 row planters).

Nanny, since I've done a ton of these shows, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"who wants to drag a bag through the classic?"

I thought you came by yourself?
</div></div>

I do GO by myself and I don't drag a bag with me. My wife keeps my bag at home. I made the mistake of telling her about my first deer classic expereince.

The 'Bonker

I'm pretty sure its a go. I will be taking orders, as well as selling seed on the floor. Thanks midwest for the info, I will definitly keep all that in mind.

Well, not going to be able to do the booth thing this year, but will definitly be in the works for next. I will be at the classics, so if anyone wants a small order (bag or two) I can bring them with me.

It was a little short notice, and I'm not going to have the inventory I need to take with me and right now will not have time to rebag for smaller bags.

Top Bottom