Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Deer Harvest by Year

ArcheryIA44

PMA Member
I pulled these data from various sources.
chart_1-1.jpg

The harvest has been cut by more than 15% since 2006. Is the DNR going to slow down?

Brian (new to the forum)

Neat Graph!! The DNR isn't the one who needs to slow down, it is us.................I guess they could limit tags because if there is a tag out there, someone will buy it.

1953 harvest was 4,004.
1974 harvest was 17,990.

Back in 1974, you were lucky if you drew an anysex tag. Most were buck only. Sure, the numbers are going down. That was by design using us, the hunters hunting in Iowa, as the tool but car deer collisions are still high and people outside of the hunting community still think the population is too high. I do think the DNR will reduce the number of tags sold. They already have. I also think the population is down from a few years ago. I also think some of the management practices we have continue to make this the best state in the nation for whitetail hunting. We can complain about this and that but we still have it pretty darn good.

Very interesting, but I can't say I'm surprised by that at all. thanks for posting and welcome!

Couple thoughts....

I have it from a reliable source that antlerless tag numbers are not being trimmed back this year, rather they will actually be increasing in most regions.... NOT GOOD..... I agree wit Liv to a certain extent that WE should be cutting back on our harvest, but if we don't take the state's deer herd by the horns... (pardon the pun, I couldn't resist :grin: ) what actions will the Iowa DNR take to make sure THEIR goals are achieved????

Just a couple pennies....

Does

Minnesota did the same thing...pounded the anterless deer for many years and it hurt are overall herd, as many of the anterless deer were actually button bucks.

It was not until the past few years that the DNR adjusted doe permits in some areas. We used to be able to shoot 5 (4 does and one buck) in NW Minnesota. Now it is a buck and one doe.

Where I live in West Central Minnesota, managing is difficult. For instance, my farm has 30-40 does and a few bucks on it now, because I am one of the few that leave significant food plots. Drive one mile down the road and there are no deer "wintering" in that area, even though the cover is good.

My guess is that Iowa will go too far, then try to correct back...it is so regional that one guy might think we have too many deer, and the next says, "where the he** are the deer!"

interesting graph. The only issue I see is that a lot of people do not call in to report their deer after harvesting it. Therefore those deer are never accounted for.

Much to consider when tracking deer numbers

Habitat change one reason for shifting levels

Joe Wilkinson
[FONT=&quot]http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20110210/SPORTS05/102100338[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's hard to hide on a blanket of fresh snow. Even from 500 feet, a deer sticks out like a sore hoof as it is counted by surveyors on high.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"You count the deer bedded down there in the woods or other cover. On a really cold morning, they are going to stay right there. You usually see their heads turn to look at the airplane," said Tim Thompson of the Department of Natural Resources wildlife biologist.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Those aerial surveys commence after deer season closes, conducted after fresh snowfall, so the deer are more visible. Around here, most counts are done. A few helicopter forays into urban areas still may come. Results from 300 aerial looks help determine postseason deer populations, as wildlife officials look ahead to future seasons and manage the state herd to get it back to 1990s levels.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Taken alone, a count here or there will raise eyebrows. In Linn County this winter, surveyors tallied 80 percent more deer than on the same route a year ago. Yet the DNR and hunters have been claiming the numbers are down. So what gives?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The habitat.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"A lot of things change year to year," Thompson said. "That route follows the Cedar River up into Black Hawk County. There was a lot of fall tillage, former CRP land, even fence lines have been pulled out (and put into row crops) because of high crop prices. There's less cover outside the survey area. That concentrates more deer in the river corridor."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That could explain a big one-year jump. Along the English River, in Washington County, Thompson's crew counted 60 percent fewer deer. Yet they don't really expect the true deer numbers are down quite that much, either. On four other routes, through Johnson County, one was basically the same. The others were down.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most hunters, particularly in east-central Iowa, report seeing fewer deer than in years past. I have seen noticeably fewer deer here around the northeast end of the Coralville Reservoir before -- and now after -- the season. Although hunter comments are considered, biologists rely more on the science of deer management before making recommendations on special seasons, urban hunts and numbers of county tags.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We fly the same transects, year after year, under similar conditions," Thompson said. "We also factor in the reported deer harvest, road kill data, bowhunter surveys and a spring spotlight survey. You can't look at pure numbers. You have to balance all the indices."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With that framework, biologists set up guidelines for the next season. Getting a close look before fall will be the successful county-specific antlerless tags. They have done well to increase the doe harvest. That, in turn, translates into fewer fawns coming into the population in the coming years. Too many deer? Offer more tags. Numbers dropping? Then reduce the tags.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can expect continued adjustments with the January late season, as well as the "Thanksgiving weekend" hunt. Each targets antlerless deer. In counties near their population targets, hunters had fewer chances to buy antlerless tags in those special seasons. Expect fewer yet in the coming year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Recommendations from wildlife biologists go to the state Natural Resources Commission in May.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reported deer harvest down[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa's reported deer harvest shows a drop over 2009-10 levels -- a reflection of the computer models showing drops over much of the state in the last few years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hunters are required to report any deer they harvest, either by phone or online. Several days after the Jan. 30 close of Iowa's latest seasons, that harvest number stood at 127.094, down from about 136,000 a year ago. The number of does taken was 65,196, which would be the sixth consecutive year in which female deer outnumbered bucks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clayton County in northeast Iowa ranked shows the highest harvest (4,856) with Van Buren (3,768), Warren (3278) and Allamakee (3,243) finishing two, three and four. Hunters in Johnson County reported taking 2,320 deer during the 2010-11 seasons, 11th highest in the state.[/FONT]

Where can I find info on hunter success rates? That's what I'm really interested to see. If I can see what the success rate is (rather than just the harvest numbers) it would show how the quality of hunting has been affected. If there's more hunters out hunting (which is what i suspect), then of course we will harvest more deer.

well regardless if they drop tag numbers or not, my family and friends that bowhunt are each going to shoot one or two does maybe not even that next year. The days of us each shooting 8 a year are over, it was fun, but its run its course for us.

Very interesting, but I can't say I'm surprised by that at all. thanks for posting and welcome!

Couple thoughts....

I have it from a reliable source that antlerless tag numbers are not being trimmed back this year, rather they will actually be increasing in most regions.... NOT GOOD..... I agree wit Liv to a certain extent that WE should be cutting back on our harvest, but if we don't take the state's deer herd by the horns... (pardon the pun, I couldn't resist :grin: ) what actions will the Iowa DNR take to make sure THEIR goals are achieved????

Just a couple pennies....

Thomas, I had actually heard the opposite from my "source"...that several counties are going to see a reduction in the antlerless tags, which might mean 0 in a few counties. Hunters were too efficient and numbers are down.

Regardless, I'm in agreement that the numbers need to be re-evaluated quite a bit. Continual 1500 quota tags for a county that is mostly tillable besides the river(s) and streams has really knocked the numbers down in eastern iowa. My cousin works for the DOT in eastern iowa. They're the fetch mules for roadkill...in the past two years (bad rut and all) they picked up approx 300 deer along I-80...this past year, with a complete harvest and defined rut they picked up 180 along the same stretch.

Not sure I want a buck only gun season like days-of-old, but I'll take that before allowing governors tags and an increase in NR any-sex tags.

When I asked Tom Litchfield about the # of antlerless tags for next year, he responded that he believes there will be a decrease of tags available in numerous counties. Although, my county was one that would continue with same or more tags being available. I know he doesn't have all the say but does have some influence in the decision.

Talking to Litchfield, I was also told of a decrease. Question is, will it be enough?

Exactly...that's why I said the numbers need serious evaluation...not just, oh lets drop Johnson, Cedar, Jones, Scott, Muscatine (for example) by 200 tags each.

I hope, in some instances, it's a drastic change, like down 50% from last year.

Top Bottom