Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Deer Hunter Pleads Guilty To Fraud

Critter

Life Member
I wonder if any charges will be filed against the out-of-staters that shot the deer, and then watched as Beemer placed a tag with his name on it. Any trophy hunter knows the regulations of the state that he is going to hunt in. He also knows that Iowa is a "lottery state", and that you can't just walk in and buy a tag and a hunt. Sounds to me that they're just a guilty as Beemer is. As for Beemer, wouldn't it be nice if you could just "pay a fine" for every little bad thing that you do. What a bonehead! I hope they hang his a$$ out to dry.

A Bedford man faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine after pleading guilty to federal charges of fraudulently providing Iowa deer hunting licenses to out-of-state hunters.

Follow link for rest of the story....

DesMoinesRegister

There was much more to the story than was revealed in the paper. Iowa was the last state to charge people. The out-of-staters were first charged and then the feds worked their way up the ladder to Beemer. It was a good case that involved several states and the feds (Fish and Wildlife Service).

Our southwest district served the search warrants along with the feds back in February 2000. That's how long the slow wheels of justice turned to finally nail Beemer.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

i,ve heard of farmer buying exta tags and giving them to out of state hunters for more money

I agree Hang em high. To me opening up this out of state hunting creates this kind of crap. Just a bunch of greedy poeple hoging up all of the hunting ground for a few people to kill a few deer all the while leaving the people who have hunted and taken care of the ground SOL. These problems are just going to keep happening.

The out of state boys would not have been able to hunt illegally in Iowa had the greedy resident landowner not been willing to accomodate them. To say that these non-residents are knocking you out of a place to hunt is pure bunk. The landowner already decided he wanted money for his deer rather than provide free recreation to the locals.

The only way to stop this illegal nonsense is for people who know for a fact what is going on to turn both the landowner and hunters in. Unfortunately, too many people turn their backs on their responsibilities as law-abiding sportsmen because it may involve turning in friends, co-workers, or family.

John's post--unfortunately--is closer to the truth than we like to think. I use the following quote when conducting a bowhunter education course:

"If we persist in protecting a violator...merely because he is a friend, or lives next door, or belongs to our hunt club, then there can be no hope that the game hog can ever be suppressed. And may I remark in passing that the man who by his silence protects a breaker of the game laws is as guilty of offense as the violator himself." That quote came from Harold L. Ickes in 1938 when he was Secretary of the Interior under Presidnt Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Doug

Doug
I just thought I would take a chance if you read posts in this topic to ask you if you could send me copies of the paperwork I need to send in ref the deer you scored for me at
Bluffs Archery's open house. I misplaced the paperwork I need to send back to you somewhere. Sorry for the inconvience. My home address is 19824 Beverly Manor Lane
Co. Bluffs 51503
Thanks,
Ken Toms

To John V - to say that it is pure bunk that some people, residents, can no longer hunt certain areas because of out-of-staters is just not so. I can give you chapter and verse on about 3 or 4 places that I used to hunt that are now owned by non-residents and there are no resisdents allowed on the property, even in years where the owner doesn't have a tag.

At any rate, the violators, both resident and non-resident, deserve their punishment and I agree that we all have an obligation to turn in known violators.

Hey guy's I hope this is not where the bashing of out of state hunters starts? I am on my way to your great state and I can tell you I hunt for trophy buck because thats what I now enjoy. I may be from a different state but we are all from the USA or we were when 9/11 happened.
It makes me sick every time I hear of these type of things going on , and I would ask you to concider calling these low lifes anything but OUT OF STATERS that groups them with many good hunters. I for one can not wait and thank GOD I live in the USA a place where I can travel to a great state like IOWA to hunt. I can tell you that I will hunt your state with great respect not only for the deer but the land owners,hunters , and law officers. I will do as I would do in any state and that is follow the GAME rules !!! and I will call the law enforcment on any so called hunter from any state that I see that is not doing the same.
I don't know about Iowa but here in Vermont most F&G laws never get to court... I pray that you all understand what you have and cherish it support your LAW OFFICER 100% help them do the job it's everyones responsibility and the more who understand that the more of these jerks that are not following the law will get what they should get JAIL, and maybe a little back door party while there!!!
A hunting friend MXZ.
Thanks all and best of luck... see ya Nov. 26.

Top Bottom