Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Deer Test Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease

Same (new) problem for where I came from in Michigan this past year. The DNR there quickly released a team of snipers in a LARGE containment area. Sure hope nothing like that happens here in Iowa!

If I understand it, the Prion can live in the dirt for decades. What does killing all the deer do? Once deer move back into the area, won't it reappear? IMO. Just from what I have read.

OK, I made it to 9:38 on that video before I had enough propaganda. That was the point where Krall says deer farmers are the victims. Do some reading. There are studies that can disprove every thing on that video. A political disease? Really? So researchers invented a disease so they could make money? The States with CWD (Iowa included) enjoy spending money on CWD? Come on, who is kidding who?

Having said that, if you take the time to read the first linked article the author discusses genotypes. There are three distinct genotypes, SS, SF, and FF with FF being more rare. The FF genotypes were resistant to CWD the SS types all got CWD and died.

That would indicate all the deer that are SS and SF will eventually die of the disease and FF will to be the only deer left. She also postulated that predators and hunters were more likely to kill infected deer than non infected. With that hypothesis in mind we would want to increase the hunt for deer to get more of the SS and SF genotypes out of the heard so SS will repopulate the herds. Think "sharp shooter" here.

The only good news from that study was CWD doesn't effect reproduction or recruitment rates of deer. So as SS and SF deer die off the chances of offspring from all cross possibilities of SS, SF and FF the FFs will eventually take over quicker.

Not to go all "Flounder" here, but "Mad Cow" prions evolved into varieties that infected humans (Creutzfeldt Jakobs Variant) so it isn't too hard to link CWD (a "condition" not a disease according to Krall) to eventually becoming a disease of humans.

At some point in time we are all going to have to ask ourselves if we are going to continue to hunt deer. Because why hunt it if you can't eat it?

Confined deer and deer farms are Victims? I say the deer farmers are the Culprits! Just another wildlife disease well have to live with

I was skeptical of this study. I had heard about it but never looked it up. If any of you remember the cyclamate studies of the late 60s (rats were fed the equivalent of 350 cans of diet soda a day and developed bladder tumors) I put this study in that category. I assumed they used exorbitant amounts of prions to achieve their goals. Then I followed the link and was even more skeptical. Then I clicked on this link that was embeded:

http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247(15)00437-4

The link is to the original paper. They explained their methodology including the amounts of prions they used in their studies.

Somebody much smarter than me may be able to interpret the amounts and methodology but it was over my head. So now I don't know what to think. Does the amount of hamster brains they use reflect the amount of prions a deer excretes in one spot on a field in a given day?

In other words, if a wild deer poops in a field is there enough prion in their poop to infect the plants it pooped on? And if so, does the plant take up enough prions to infect the next deer that eats that plant? I doubt it but I can't say that with any certainty.

Top Bottom