Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Furbearer Season

blake

Life Member
Iowa Furbearer Harvest Season Opens

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa's furbearer harvest season opened on Saturday November 6th, and officials expect trappers and hunters to have a good start.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources says a survey confirms larger populations for furbearing animals, including raccoons.

Officials say there are few isolated places where disease, such as distemper and manage, has suppressed the numbers.

The season started Saturday Nov 6th.

Bobcat season is only in the southern three county tiers of the state. The Iowa DNR has added 10 counties for bobcats — Guthrie, Cass, Adair, Madison, Warren, Marion, Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington and Louisa. The bobcat quota has increased from 200 to 250.

The river otter quota remains the same, at 500 otters and is open statewide.

Trappers and hunters must report all otters and bobcats harvested within 24 hours.

The harvest quota numbers are updated regularly by calling the Iowa DNR at 515-281-5918.

ITA_Membership_Sticker2-101x101.png
ITA

Last edited:
Just a side note, coon hides have been selling for $7 to $8 on the average down in my neck of the woods. Saw a 60# beaver bring $15 and muskrats between $3-$4. :way:

Talked to my dad today and the dealer in Algona is buying muskrats for $7.50 on the carcass! He said it has actually gone up over the last day or two he was giving $8 for skinned and stretched. Coon prices sound about the same. He plans on shipping to the auction in Canada, the guys were seeing $9-10 for large rats last year. I've never heard of them that high but every dealer and area can be different I guess.

Top Bottom