Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Mule Deer????????

Crimson Arrows

I was heading home this morning on 380, IN THE MIDDLE of cedar Rapids and almost hit a big mule deer doe!! Long skinny tail, black tip. HUGE ears. I saw her coming across from the other side and thought, "man, that doe has big ears" Then she crossed and I saw her tail and face. Is that possible? Just got back from out west and saw alot so there was no mistake here. Any thoughts?

I don't know about eastern IA but every now and then a mule deer is taken here in western IA. Most times they are smaller bucks but quite a few years ago I measured one a guy said his dad shot back in the early 1960's that scored well into the 160's.

They look different but one thing has always set the mulies apart is the way they hop or bounce. I swear they are 25% rabbit /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handcannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They look different but one thing has always set the mulies apart is the way they hop or bounce. I swear they are 25% rabbit /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

yeh, my cousin took a mule deer buck back in about 1993 on a youth hunt. we tanned the hide.

A guy a work told me the other day that he thinks he seen mule deer doe, while he was comming to work on 380. This would have been south of glass rd. I never said anything about this post to him either. Maybe there really is a mule deer running around CR. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I killed one on the last day of the 1999 late muzzleloader season a couple of miles outside of Nashua, IA. Only a forkie but its one of my favorite hunts of all time and he made for a great mount with those huge ears!

Just came across a whitetail mule deer hybrid today in western Iowa, it had the muley rump, and the signature "bounce". From the fron and side he looked very much whitetail, from the rear and by his run he was all mule deer. A very odd sight for sure.

Just a side note....

If the deer "bounded" like a Mulie, then it was not a hybrid, it was a Mule deer..

I have always been told that a hybrid might look like a Mule Deer, but the easiest way to tell is if it doesn't bound...

Only Mule deer bound, not hybrids..

It was bounding..thats what caught my eye last month....and the GIANT EARS :)Still can see that little tail with a black tip almost nicking my bumper.

I have seen whitetails bound all the way through a tall switchgrass field. 5 foot tall grass. Just to see where they were going i guess.

Only Mule deer bound, not hybrids.. [/quote]

What about a hybrid with hydraulics????
neener_neener.gif

Haven't seen any down around the southern part yet. I am sure we will see more habitat in our great state that we normally are not privy in seeing.

Top Bottom