Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa rates second

Yeah, I noticed that in the paper today also. The usual enemies are quoted (Farm Bureau and insurance cos.). It was nice to read that the IA DNR was taking some form of opposing stance to the State Farm statistics.

Farmers around me are making hefty profits. Maybe the guy in Bloomfield farms next to a large hunt /video preserve? Then makes a blanket statement for the whole state. Drivers,,stay home more at night,, with your families. This make the Arabs less wealth, and you should enjoy more of what you pay in prop taxes.

I have never understood this complaint. Me and my criminal justice/police science professor have had many conversations about this. He hunts a little, but not a ton. He has never hit a deer with his vehicle. On the opposite side, his wife has hit 5 in the last 5 years. I have been driving for 8 years and have yet to hit a deer. I have came close, but have always been aware and had enough time to react. My dad is 52 and has yet to hit a deer. I know sometimes it is impossible to react in time or to see the deer before it is on the road, but I have witnessed many times where I saw the deer in the ditch(glowing eyes) and slowed way down. Usually if a car is behind me I tap my breaks a number of times to give out a warning. Only to never see their break lights come on and often to see one headlamp go dark. I have also been behind vehicles, one was last weekend when coyote spotting. It was mid morning, 11 AM, and we are following a buick lesabre on the highway. I see a deer flying across a field headed for the highway in front of us. I told my brother that the car was going to hit the deer when the deer was 100 yards from the road. The angle was perfect and the car never slowed once. The lesabre took out the deer in the dead center of the hood. No one was injured, but it is ridiculous. Maybe I am the bad driver, but doesn't any other driver in Iowa notice their surroundings. I love to hunt so I am always looking for deer. It is habit.
On the other hand, I think many accidents with deer are caused because of cell phones. Texting while driving really takes away your time to react and that should be taken account for. Some accidents with deer are gonna happen, but I place the blame on the driver, not the deer population. Sorry for the rant.

So the farmer from bloomfield loses $4.28 per acre by his estimate to the deer and this is the DNR's fault. Thats less than a bushel per acre at todays prices. I will guarantee his combine wastes more grain than that.

I think the state will have a rude awakening next year when tags sales tank and revenue drops. According to their numbers 44,000 less people bought licenses this year.

So the farmer from bloomfield loses $4.28 per acre by his estimate to the deer and this is the DNR's fault. Thats less than a bushel per acre at todays prices. I will guarantee his combine wastes more grain than that.
Combine efficiency can only be controlled so much, but through the FB he might be able to stop the bleeding caused by deer.

I like the part about the farmer! Poor me.... Well guess what, every job has hardships and losses. That's life! Deal with it! What about construction workers for example? Should scientists find ways to try and stop rain, so they are not losing money when they can't work? Sounds foolish but it is something worth complaing about. My point is this. Look at the big picture. Do people really think that getting rid of more deer will solve the problem. No! Why? Because there are other factors involved. Deer could be thinned down by the thousands, but still doesn't stop the remaining from still doing normal habits and routines such as eating at night, rutting, and so forth... There are so many more factors involved with this issue that none of these people take into consideration. What the statistics don't show, are when the majority of deer are being hit months and time of day. Maybe take a look at these statistics and put some correlations and logical conclusions together with that data. Bet there would be a trend from year to year etc. Too many big wigs think they have the short and sweet, easy answer. Sounds good in the paper but only distorts the publics perception. If it's in the paper and there are high profiled people throwing out the information, it must be correct. Know what, put out all the facts, and not just the ones to support the opinion. Oh wow, sounds a lot like politics. Remember, one thing. This whole issue derives back to one thing, MONEY! It will always be about MONEY! Anyone else see this?

Oh, one more thing, I was born and raised on a farm and love farming. I have also hit a deer in my lifetime too. Nature is nature people. Deal with it by accepting it, not destroying it.

Well, it won't be too long and we are going to have to start killing off all the turkeys too. Any farmer that I talk to says that turkeys are a lot harder on corn than what deer are.
How about a special late season rifle hunt for turkeys? Hen only of course. If FB had their way, this might be a reality.

And also, as far as the DNR: They are a great organization and good for many things but essentially the big decisions come down to the head of the department and HE doesn't want to dissapoint the MAN who appointed him. What they refer to as "You scratch my back, I scratch yours"... Get what I'm sayin... I know there are DNR agents who think a lot of the stuff going on with non-residents, thinning deer, special seasons is bad, but ultimately there opinions/facts don't matter to the boss. The chief who got appointed has final say and can sweep a lot of important information under the rug to make his boss, the Governor, happy and for fear of losing his newly appointed job. Government is so corrupt it's not even funny but that's the way it will always be so I accept it I guess...

Here is an idea, how about hunters just don't do what they want us to do. How about we limit the number of deer we take? Pretty easy fix I'd say. We can ultimately fix the issue, because WE are the hunters that buy the tags! Just don't give the boys and girls the show they want is all... I'm done now, cuz now I'm all worked up! :)

Weak statements in that article all im gonna say. Im not going to get political with it. Maybe people should use these a little more, might help out with their cause. This sign could save someone $4,000 damage to their vehicle all you gotta do is look at it and understand the sign.

picture.php

I think we have more people on the roads at before dawn and after dusk in our rual areas now also with more farmers and their spouses having to work another job on top of farming. Two of the farms I hunt commute to Des Moines every day for work putting them on the road during the peak times of deer movement. The one gal hits at least a deer a year it seems like, plus both couples are always on the go running kids back and forth to activities. This same area also has had a grown over the years as people have built homes in the country and commute to Des Moines for work. I also wonder if the farmer that complained about crop loss allows hunting on his farm? It seems they are the one's who complain, but won't allow anyone on to help the problem.

This article was a bunch of crap and one sided. The only pro-deer person the register interviewed was Litchfield, and he did a good job. They also interviewed some farmer who's only going to be happy the day when there are no deer and an insurance guru.

This article was a bunch of crap and one sided. The only pro-deer person the register interviewed was Litchfield, and he did a good job. They also interviewed some farmer who's only going to be happy the day when there are no deer and an insurance guru.

exactly:drink1:

Top Bottom