Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is he dead?

MJ6050

Shot this buck Tuesday night about 6:00. Bad shot placement! I was roughly 30ft up? Shot at 15 yards. You would think that the angle would of hit at least one lung? 8" of arrow still in him and another 2/3" of penetration on the arrow I found. Have looked for about 5 hours, two different days. Luckily the hunter to the south let me see the pictures off his camera. What do you think?

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/album.php?albumid=439&pictureid=4812

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/album.php?albumid=439&pictureid=4811

If someone knows how to add these to the post, please do. Thanks

How long after you shot him were the pics taken? It looks to me like you hit in front of the lungs at the base of the neck in front of the shoulder, alot of meat there, sorry but I think he will live to see another day.

Yes, blood trail for a long ways and found a bed with blood in it? Picture was taken around 600 yds and then bed was another 100yds. Not alot of blood, but there wasn't an exit hole. Picture was taken within 5 minutes?

picture.php

picture.php

Well if the pic was taken only 5 min after, thats a better sign, but with little blood, a shot in the meat of the front quarter usually means you didnt hit any arterys. a meat shot will bleed dark red blood pretty good for a while but little chance of him dieing, Its worth searching every square inch though, ya never know.

good luck.

So these pics were taken roughly 10 minutes after you shot him? Damn thats crazy. It almost looks like he's out cruisin again in those pics. I agree that I dont think you hit anything vital, but that is a hell of a hole. I think he is probably a little sore, but should be fine. not to mention if he keeps trollin you may get another poke at him.

That's a good looking buck, but I believe you hit him in whats known as the "dead zone" almost a 0 % lethal kill. I'd say that buck will live to see another deer season. Sorry for your luck wish ya the best.

I'd say you're above the spine in the shoulder/backstrap area. That area of a deer is where the spine dips way down almost 1/3 of the way through the chest. He may die of infection, but who knows.

I'd say you're above the spine in the shoulder/backstrap area. That area of a deer is where the spine dips way down almost 1/3 of the way through the chest. He may die of infection, but who knows.

x2 Barring infection, this deer probably survives IMO.

I think at that angle you hit shoulder and the arrow clanced down the shoulder blade lodging in the leg, leaving a very sore but alive deer. I agree with muddy about he should be fine as long a invection does not get him. I would still look for him, you never know for sure. That is one awsome buck, and to get that on trail cam is cool!!! Good luck

JSS

Muddy, he might but if he can clean it or lick it, he may make it. A buddy of mine shot a buck in the neck, no vitals at all clean through the shot was too. Lots of blood and no deer. Found the sheds that next spring and I shot him muzzleloading the next year. Scare in the deers neck right where he had shot it the previous year! Deer went from a typical 10 to a typical 12 with two kickers off the opposite side of the wound! Pretty neat knowing what they can go through, even with a bad meat shot. I did't think he would make it cause there was no way to clean the wound but he did!!

Hope he makes it or you find him at some point!

Agree 100%. If there was one area a deer could survive a hit thats it :) good news is you might get another crack at him! Probably anterior to the lungs and above the spine. Tough critters!

He probably went to Sears right after and got a Family photo deal!! He will probably live barring infection! Amazing animals! Got wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more will to live then humans!! :thrwrck:

Top Bottom